Love Overcomes The Fear

Jason's pov

"Burgers are done!" Kim calls. I walk out of the house to the backyard where she's got the grill fired up. Adeline who is fifteen now and is dating a boy named Carl now sits on the swing with him. Suddenly the backyard disappears. Replaced by a dark basement. "What the?!" I gasp, turning around. I can't move my arms. They're chained to the wall. "What's going on?! Let me go!" I have both my legs again! The door swings open and one of the guys that was hunting me walks down the steps. "B-But I killed you!" I cry, shocked. He laughs. "You're dillusional. You dumbass hillbilly!" He punches me in the face and pulls out a machete with a red handle. My eyes stay locked on it, my hands shaking in fear.

Kim's pov

"Mom!! Dad's having a flashback again!" Oh crap! I turn around and see him standing in the middle of the yard, hands fisted and eyes wide and terrified. I run to him. "Jason! Jason can you hear me! You're okay!" I gasp, grabbing his hand. He shuts his eyes tight, gritting his teeth. "Kim?" He struggles to say. "Yeah, Jay it's me." He opens his eyes again and sees me for real this time. I hug him tight. "I-I'm okay." He mumbles, rubbing my back. Adeline walks over worried. "Dad, do you need me to get you anything?" She asks, holding his hand. His face is flushed and red. "I.... No... I... I'm fine now. I just need to sit down." He says. She holds his hand and guides him to the swing. He stares at the ground and I'm worried. Adeline props his cane on the tree beside the swing.

Jason's pov

I hate having flashbacks like that. My hand rests on my prosthetic. It makes me shudder. "You okay dad?" Addy asks. I nod, pulling my stare away from the ground. "I'm fine now. I hope I didn't scare you." She shakes her head. "I'm used to it." She says, laying her head on my shoulder. She shouldn't be. Kim puts burgers on the picnic table. Addy gets my cane and helps me stand up. I need help from my daughter just to stand up! I hate it. Carl sits beside Addy and I sit beside Kim. "Oh me and Carl were gonna go to the opry tomorrow if it's okay. Alan Jackson is playing." She says. I keep quiet, staring down at the table. "It's fine, hun." Kim says. She holds my hand, pulling me from my stare. I hate the flashbacks so much. "You okay?" I nod and we eat burgers and fries.

*later that day*

Kim was washing the dishes from earlier. Addy and Carl were watching TV in the other room. I watch her washing the dishes. She looks up and catches me staring through the reflection in the window in front of her. I blush and look away. She turns around. "Are you sure you're alright? You've been acting funny since the flashback." "Yeah. It's just this particular one got to me." "What was it?" She asks, walking over and holding my hands. I look at our hands, my scarred ones with her tiny soft ones. I smile seeing the wedding ring on her finger. I'm so glad she waited for me. "Jason?" "Oh uh.... It was the day Johnny, one of the men after me, chopped off my leg." Her eyes go wide. "It didn't stop you." She says, smiling. Huh? "What do ya mean baby?" "It didn't stop you. You still made it home. Always remember that. Nothing those evil people did ever stopped you from coming home." I smile, a tear falling down my cheek. "You always know what to say." I say, kissing her. My hands tense up.

~flashback~

James, another member of the mafia, drags a girl into the room I was forced in. I stand by the wall as far away from them as possible. This was before I got my leg cut off. But I've been locked down here for three days with nothing to eat or drink and no sleep. Too scared. The scariest thing is the woman they dragged in looked like Kim. It's been two years. Is that my Kimmy?! "Kimberly?" I choke out. She wipes her eyes. "My name isn't Kimberly." Oh thank God! "It's Joanna." It isn't my baby girl. My princess. "I just wanna go home!" She cries. I hate to be like this but running for my life hardened me. I don't really care about some girl I don't even know. All I care about is getting home to Kim and Addy. She runs to the door, banging on it! "Please let me out! I want to go home. A bullet slices through the door and nails her in the head. I'm frozen in shock as she falls down the basement stairs and rests ten feet away from me. I find out it wasn't a bullet but a tranq dart. Thank goodness she isn't dead. But soon she's gonna wish she was. So I guess it's not thank goodness. I hear Kim calling my name. My eyes go wide. I run for the door. "Kimmy?!" They don't have my Kimmy do they?!

~flashback over~

I shake my head realizing it was just another flashback. She hugs me. "I'm sorry baby. I hate what's happened to me." "You don't ever say you're sorry for what those horrible people did to you. There is no reason for you to be sorry." "B-But-" "No buts Jason." She then kisses me softly, my hands tense up then wrap around my girl's waist. "I love you Kimberly Ann." I whisper. Her head now rests against my chest. "I love you too Jason."