Gone Guy

Kim's pov

Jason comes home from the studio. But he looks upset. "Kimmy, we have to talk." He says, my blood runs cold. It's not going to be good. I can tell. I send Addy to her room so we can talk privately. He sits at the kitchen table, his head in his hands. "Jason, what's wrong?" He looks up and grabs my hand. "Honey, I messed up big time." He says. "What do ya mean?" I cry, worried. "I've gotta disappear for awhile. I can't stay here. It'll put you and Addy in danger." He says. "What are you talking about? Jay, you're not making any sense." He stands up, his shoulders tense, he stands in front of the sink. I hug him from behind. "Please tell me what's going on! You're scaring me." "I can't. The less you know, the safer you are." He says, his voice trembling. He turns around, wrapping his arms around me. "I will find you guys again. I promise." He whispers. "But why do you have to disappear?!" I cry as he walks toward the door. "I can't tell you." He opens the door as Adeline calls his name. He wipes his eyes, trying to compose himself. She runs down the stairs. "Where are ya going?" She asks. He picks her up and hugs her. "I'll miss you so much." He says. "Where are you going?" She asks again, fear in her voice. "I have to go. But I'll come back. You can count on it. I will come back. I don't know when but I will." I still don't know why he has to go. He won't tell me a damn thing. He walks out and I run out and grab his shoulder. "If you love me, tell me why you're leaving." "I can't baby girl, just know it's nothing that you or Addy did. I promise. Wait for me. I'm coming back." He kisses me long and hard then walks to his truck. Addy runs out. "No! Don't go! You promised you wouldn't leave me and mommy!" She screams, running after his truck. I catch up and grab her. She fights to get away, crying hysterically. His truck disappears in a cloud of dust. That was 5 years ago. He never came back and I've given up thinking he is. It still rings in my head like it was yesterday. "Wait for me. I'm coming back." Yeah right. He's not coming back. Adeline comes inside. She doesn't ever wanna be called Addy anymore, not since Jason left. He was her hero, literally. He saved her life. And now she's just a shell of a person. I never did hear from Ben again. So it's just been me and her. We never moved out of this house just in case he did come back. But I've given up on that. We're moving to New York tomorrow. The busy city life will keep our minds off it. Adeline has no hop in her step like she did when Jason was around. "Ya wanna make pancakes with me?" I ask. "Mr. Jason liked waffles not pancakes." She says, closing her eyes. 5 years and not a day goes by that we both don't miss that wonderful heartfelt man. "He promised he wouldn't leave and he left. He promised he'd come back but he never came back and he never will!! He's just empty promises!!" She screams running from the room. I sit at the kitchen table and cry. He gave me no explanation to why he left.

Adeline's pov

I sob on the couch. I've given up hope. He'll never come back. I sit on the front porch. His hunting boots still sit in the same place they did five years ago. I look in the window and see mom crying at the kitchen table. "Why did you do this to us?" I whimper, fighting back the tears. "Addy." Who said that? Nobody calls me that. Nobody has called me that since...... I turn around and scream.

Kim's pov

I hear Adeline scream so I run out on the porch. My heart hammering in my chest. "Sweetheart what's wrong?" I ask. She points to the yard, her mouth agape. I look over and back up hitting the door. Jason. Only now, he's covered in scars and has an eyepatch. His clothes are torn and he is leaning on a cane. "What on earth happened to you?" I gape. "I-I told you I'd come back. I'm sorry it took so long." He says, limping over. He grits his teeth in pain. "Jason, what's wrong? What happened?" "I can tell you everything now." He says. I help him inside and onto the couch. He rolls his pants leg up revealing a prosthetic leg. "Honey, it's a long story." He says, rolling his pants leg back down. "Y-You didn't find anyone else?" He asks. I sit beside him. "I couldn't." I whimper, sitting beside him. Adeline stands by the door. "Why did you leave?" She asks. He sighs. "I'm about to explain everything." He says. "You promised you'd never leave us!! You promised! And you left!" She screams. "I know Addy and I'm sorry. I also promised that day I'd do whatever I could to keep you guys safe and you'll find out why I left." He says, grabbing his cane and trying to stand up only to be knocked down by her hugging him. She cries and he hugs her. "God, I missed you both so much." "Jason, please tell me what happened!" I gasp. "I was being hunted. 5 years ago, the day I left, I was going to ask you to marry me but I got attacked by Ben and I killed him. I had to or he woulda killed me. Turns out he was a ringleader of the mafia. They came after me. I escaped to come tell you goodbye then I had to run. I've been running for 5 years and they've caught me multiple times as you can see." He explains with a deep sigh. He rests a hand on his prosthetic leg. "The first time they caught me they cut my leg off which is why I have the prosthetic. The second time I almost didn't make it out. I may have lost the use of my left eye but I survived and the only reason was to get back to you both. I won't be able to perform looking like this obviously." I stand up, trying as hard as I can not to cry. "I wouldn't be so sure about that." I say, pulling out the box of letters. "These are from your fans." They're all letter begging for him to come sing again and asking where he is. "And you think they'll still like me looking like this?" He asks, standing up with Addy's help. "I know they will." I say, hugging him. "I'm glad you're back." Addy says, standing on the couch and hugging his neck. He turns around to hug her. "Man, you've grown. You're a grown woman now! There's no boyfriend yet is there?" He asks. She laughs and shakes her head. "Good then you're still my little girl." He says, picking her up over his shoulder. She laughs hysterically. "Put me down!" She cries. It's so good to see her happy again. "Addy you and your mama have to be onstage with me when I reveal myself." He says. I walk into the room. He's set her down by now and is breathing hard. He sits down winded. "I know it's been a long time and I hope you don't hate me." He says. I can tell he's close to tears. "I could never hate you, Mr. Jason. You saved my life. In more ways than one." She says, hugging him. He smiles. "No more mister, sweetheart, just call me Jason." He says. "Can I call you dad?" She asks. His eye goes wide and he hugs her and this time he does cry. "Yeah, I'd love that." He says.