Adjusting to normal life

Jason's pov

It's so good to be home with my girls. Its the one thing about my life that I missed the most. Adeline is in bed since she has school in the morning. Kim is about to close the door but she waves me over first. I glance in her room and she clutches my cowboy hat. The one I gave her when she was in the hospital. "You sure wore her out." She says, closing the door. "She wore me out too." I mumble. We go back down to the living room and sit on the couch. "I'm glad you're back." She says. "Me too, sweetheart. I missed you and Addy more than you'll ever know." "She stopped wanting to be called that after you left." She kisses me and instantly my hands are around her. I never thought I'd get to kiss her again. My hand rests on the back of her head while we make out. She suddenly stands up and holds out a hand to me. "What's going on?" She pulls me up. "The bedroom is better than the couch." She whispers, kissing me again. I'm a little surprised. "You still wanna do that with me?" She nods. "Of course why wouldn't I?" "Because I'm nothin' like I was 5 years ago. I'm changed." "You still love me?" I turn around to look at her, surprised by the question. "Of course I still love you." "Then you aren't changed. You're the same man who saved my daughter's life five years ago. You're the same man who protected me from Ben and you're the same man who made my daughter smile when nothing else could. That little girl loves you more than anything Jason and so do I. And having one leg and an eyepatch is not gonna change that." I hug her tight. "You still love this ol broken cowboy?" "Of course I do."

*later*

I have nothing in my life that I care about more than my girls. She's the best both in heart and in bed. She still loves me after I had to leave without giving her any explanation and she still loves me coming home looking like a damn pirate. But that's my sweet Kimmy, got a heart the size of Texas.

Kim's pov

Adeline's screaming wakes me up and makes Jason grab his gun and his cane. "What's going on?" He cries, blinking in the sudden brightness from the lamp. "Adeline screamed. It's probably just another bad dream." I explain. He sets the gun down and rubs his eye. I quickly go to her room. She sweating bullets and shaking. I wake her up. "Mama is that you?" She whimpers. "Yes baby girl, it's me." I say, hugging her. Her eyes fill with tears. "Where daddy?!" She cries, panicked. "He's still here. Don't worry. He's not going anywhere." I say. "I'm right here, sweetheart." He says, walking into the room. She smiles and stands up, hugging him. "I had a dream you left again and this time you didn't come back." She cries, gripping his shirt tightly. He sits on the bed holding her in his lap. "I'm not leaving again. I promise." He whispers, holding her as she cries. He bites his lip, forcing back tears himself. He lays her back down. "You're still my go to gal right?" She nods and wipes her eye. He smiles. "And I'm still you're daddy." He says, picking the hat up and putting it on her head. She laughs and moves it off her eyes. "Goodnight." She says. "Sleep tight darlin'." He says, kissing her forehead. I smile and turn her light off. We go back to our room but I doubt we'll be getting any sleep tonight. He stares at the ceiling the bedside lamp on. "How long.... Have these nightmares been going on?" He asks. I bite my lip. "It's been a while. At least 2 years after you left. That's also when she stopped looking out the window everyday after school." He sighs. "I guess we're both fucked up." He grumbles, sitting up. "Neither of you are fucked up!" I gasp, shocked he'd say that. He grits his teeth and slams the lamp off the table. It shatters and we are plunged into darkness. "Yes I am. I'm a freak now. Just look at me!" He cries. "I am looking at you Jason. You're not a freak!" I gasp, grabbing his hand. "I don't care what you look like. It's what's inside that counts." He sighs. "You're just saying that to make me feel better." "No, I'm saying that because it's the truth." "What happened to you, Jay?" I ask. I turn the overhead light on. He stares at me tears on his cheeks. I move the eyepatch. "I just can't see out of it. But it's still there." He says, forcing a smile. "And it's still the beautiful green I remember." I say, smoothing his hair. "You'll always be perfect in my eyes." He smiles for real this time and hugs me. "Any one else would run away. Why do you stay?" He asks. "Love Jason, love makes me stay. Because I love you and Addy loves you. We don't care what you look like." I explain. "I'm terrified to reveal myself." He whispers, his hands shaking. I rest my hand on top of his. "You're gonna do great."

*the next day*

Jason's pov

Kim is organizing a party where I'll show myself to all my friends. Will they accept me like Kim? I don't know but man do I hope so. I've missed my buddies. I can hear Kim talking to them. "I've got a big surprise for everyone." She says then comes inside. "I don't know if I can do it." I say, glancing out the window. "You can and you will." She says a hand on my back. Adeline hands me my cane then holds my hand. "I'll help you dad." She says. Kim opens the door and I walk out.