Chapter 25 (Choose your side)

About a week or so later after dinner, I was approached by a person I had so far avoided and thus avoided having to turn back on my word.

"Hey Lillian! Are you coming to the meeting tonight?" Bethany asked on the way out of dinner.

Elise looked at me questionably, but she didn't say anything. Instead, she walked on.

"I'll meet you back at my cabin" Elise said to me not addressing Bethany as she walked off.

Bethany gritted her teeth as she watched Elise walk away.

"So are you coming? It's really important that you do" Bethany said her tone a little less friendly.

I felt an undertone of hostility slowly start to slip its way into Bethany's speech.

"Um yeah" I said against all my better judgement.

Had I wanted to say yes. No, not really, but seeing how teeming Bethany was, I wasn't so sure that I was going to say no and risk my head getting chopped off.

"Great! See you at dark!" She said forcing her already wide smile to spread even more.

It looked painful. Smiling in general did as well, as if she was constantly being ticked off.

"See you at dark" I said my voice faltering a little.

I noticed Bethany's smile twitch a little, obviously noticing the difference in my voice. She looked anxious but not in a nervous way.

"Great!" She said her voice a couple pitches too high.

I nodded and awkwardly walked away feeling her gaze on me.

What was going on?
-------------------------------------

"Where are you going?" Elise asked me as I slowly tried to leave the Poseidon cabin.

I silently cursed myself and turned around to find a very sleepy and newly awoken Elise sitting up and rubbing her face.

Crap.

"I was just going for a walk" I lied and Elise started to get out of bed.

"I can come with you" she offered and I could practically hear sirens going off.

"No, it's fine. I was actually kind of hoping to go on a walk.... Alone" I said hoping Elise would buy it.

Elise stopped getting out of bed and froze.

"Oh, oh yeah, um yeah I get that" Elise said nodding.

I offered her a grateful smile that wasn't faked.

"Thanks. I'll only be gone a little while" I said and she nodded

"Have fun" she said lying back down and going back to sleep.

I let out a quiet breath of relief and slowly exited the Poseidon cabin hoping not to wake Elise again or Percy.

I slowly made my way to the Aphrodite cabin looking around, making sure no one saw me.

As I opened and closed the door to the Aphrodite cabin I expected to be able to quickly take a seat in the back and not get caught.

Unfortunately as I turned around all eyes were on me.

Bethany had her arms crossed and hip cocked as everyone stared at me.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I let out an awkward laugh.

"Hey guys!" I said awkwardly taking a seat next to Lyssa and Aaron. Bethany narrowed her eyes at me and her gaze turned icy.

"Where have you been? You're late Lillian" Bethany said her voice cold.