Part 20

Anna in the picture above.
Kathleen

She sat silent. Staring at the wall with fear deep in her eyes. I held my stomach as I watched her. It's been about two months since the incident. We've been home for two weeks. She hasn't even uttered a word. She stayed frozen in her place, except for the constant tremble of her fingers and her chin.
"Do you want to talk, today?" The psychiatrist asked. She didn't budge. Not once. Like every other day.
"Anna?" I asked, softly. She turned to look at me. Her mouth opened, but then shut. She looked down, tears streaming down her face.
"Baby, talk to us. It's okay." I whispered, grasping her hand.
"I feel like you won't believe me." She whispered. That's the first words she's uttered since waking up from whatever she was in. I blinked rapidly, taken aback by her response.
"We aren't here to judge you. I'm not here to judge you." I replied. She nodded, an unsure look on her face.
"All I remember is...light. Warmth. Like I was free. A person in a white robe walked in front of me and grabbed my hand and we walked into the light. I didn't question it. I didn't have the urge to.." She sniffed.
"U-um we walked into this large room with white walls. There was voices singing. Like angels. The most beautiful voice. Like a wind chime told me that I'm okay now, and that I'll be okay, and that I won't get hurt ever again. Then he told me if I step over the line that I'll die and stay here forever. I didn't want to leave I really didn't. But then I heard your voice. Crying, and talking about our baby. So then He told me to go back to earth and fulfill God's main purpose of me being on earth. And then darkness took over me and now I'm here." She finished. I stared at her in shock.
"Heaven?" I asked. She nodded.
"It was more real than anything. People laughing, enjoying themselves. It was beautiful. Too beautiful." She cried. I rubbed her back, looking up at the psychiatrist.
"I didn't want to leave. I wanted to die." She sobbed into her hands. Tears welled into my eyes and I looked down.
"But I have to be here for you and the baby. He said that while touching m-my hand. He-" She continued to cry and I watched her.
"Excuse me for a second." The psychiatrist said as his phone rang. He left the room and I looked at her face.
"Who touched your hand?" I asked as I watched her trace her palm.
"I think it was Jesus. No, I'm positive. He didn't even mention about being gay or anything. He just welcomed me. I felt like I was home." She whispered, her eyes becoming lost. I believed her. I believed her so much.
"That's amazing." I whispered. She shook her head.
"More than that. Heaven is real. So real. With a touch of his palm I feel like he's healed me from all the pain and hurting I was feeling. He reminded me that he's there every step of the way." She preached. I nodded, sitting back in my seat, trying to take in what she's saying.
"Maybe you should talk to your mother. She thought she lost you. " I sighed. Anna nodded.
"I also thought this would be some Lazarus effect shit." I added, honestly. She laughed loudly.
"No, ma'am. It wasn't evil at all. It just made me feel...weird. A bit out of place. " Anna answered. I nodded. Bob, the psychiatrist walked back in here and took his seat on the couch.
"I'm so glad you've decided to open up to us today, Annamarie. If you don't mind, I would like to change the subject to your father." Bob, stated. Anna looked down and nodded.
"I have to give it to you. You coped with that for how many years? All by yourself. That's impressive." He complimented. Anna shrugged and I smiled, before wincing slightly at the kick that our son has delivered.
"Woah, you okay?" Anna asked. I nodded.
"Yeah. Continue." I exhaled. Hang in there, bambino. Just a few more days. Wait until your mommy is better. Please.
Anna and the psychiatrist continued to talk and I listened to how much pain was in her voice. The doctor gave her an assignment and then left the house.
"You hungry?" Anna asked. I nodded.
"It's a little late, so we can order something if you want. Why does he make our sessions so late? It's after eight. And it's cold." She suggested. I shrugged, the discomfort spreading around my body. Come on, Salix. Not today.
"Kate? Are you alright?" She asked me.
"Ahhhh...not really." I breathed out as he kicked the shit out of my stomach. I moaned, pulling up my shirt.
"What's going on?" She asked as she kneeled in front of me. Thank the fucking lord she got out that catatonic state today because, FUCK. I might just be going into labor, and I was so tempted to smack the shit out of her.
"Nothing nothing." I exhaled, staring at my stomach. He kicked hard, the imprint of his little foot on my stomach. I yelped.
"I-I think I'm having contractions." And with that, my house door swung open and I saw my mother in law, Sara and my niece and nephew, Sofie, and Dana walk through the door.
"Surprise!" Laurie yelled. I gave her a shaky smile and tried standing up. Good fucking timing, guys. Dana already had her arms wrapped around Anna and I greeted everyone with as much stamina as I could. He kicked again and I groaned lowly. He doctor said over the weekend. Come on, man.
"Oh Anna. How are you!?" Her mother asked her. I felt myself become sweaty and as Dana hugged me, he kicked again.
"Oh my.. I felt that." Dana giggled.
"I missed you so much." I panted.
"I missed you more. I made you a painting." She skipped over to her bag and as she walked back toward me a huuuuuuge contraction hit me and all the air in my lungs left my body as I bent over. Then I felt it.
My fucking water broke.
"Kate?" Anna asked from the kitchen.
"Uh, Anna." I said, shakily. My voice trembled.
"What's wrong?" She asked as she walked toward me. Tears streamed down my face as I looked at the ground, then back up to her face.
"M-m-my water broke." I clenched my teeth as it hit me again.
"Oh my fuck.." Her eyes widened and my mother in law ran toward me.
"Get the baby bag! Go! It's in the nursery." Our nursery is a light blue and pastel pink color. It has airplanes painted on the walls. The cutest thing eve--
"FUCK!" I screamed, gripping Laurie's hand. They guided me out the apartment, walking me down the steps instead of taking the elevator. My neighbor looked at me and smiled.
"Aw congratulations." He cooed. What a fucking fruit.
"Thanks." I spat. We finally got to the truck and they helped me into the front seat. I cried and groaned as my baby kicked like a fucking soccer player. Anna hopped in the car and sped off.
"Hurry the fuck up!" I snapped. She drove faster, catching a few lights. Then we heard sirens.
"ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!?" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Anna didn't pull over, but drove faster toward the hospital. Another contraction hit and I cried out.
"Almost there. Almost there." She repeated to herself. She was acting as if she was driving stick shift in fucking Tokyo drift. She literally drifted into the hospitals parking lot and pulled the keys out, before throwing them at the chauffeur. She grabbed the bags and slipped through the emergency room.
"My fiancée is in labor!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. As if on cue, Salix hit me hard and I bent over, squatting down. I inhaled and exhaled as I felt myself being sat on a wheel chair. Anna followed behind the nurses and I. I was put in a hospital gown and sat in the bed. Anna paced up and down the room as the doctors set up.
I. Am. In. Pain.
"Epidural?" The nurse asked.
"No!" Both Anna and I yelled. That shit can hurt my baby, and myself. Even though I've been suffering for a few hours. The nurse eyeballed us like we were crazy but I didn't care. Just get him out, already!
"So you're about five centimeters dilated, sweetie. Is that the father?" She pointed to Anna.
"Yes." I answered, cackling. She nodded, completely unbothered. She literally is the father, for her stem cells were used.
"Five more centimeters and then we'll start." She sighed. I nodded, looking up at Anna. I moaned in pain, rubbing my stomach.
"Why did I agree to this?" I cringed as I got hit with another contraction. Anna laughed and I glared at her.
"It's not fucking funny!" I yelled, causing the nurse to giggle.
"Almost there. A few more centimeters." The nurse chimed. I panted as Anna blew air into my face.
"This shit hurts." I sobbed, tears running down my face.
"Alright. It's time." The nurse announced. Anna let out a breath of air and looked into my eyes.
Five fucking hours. It took five fucking hours. The doctors walked and set everything up.
"Okay, now I'm going to need you to push when I say so okay?" The doctor asked from in between my legs. I nodded, my eyes clenched shut.
"Push!" He demanded. I obeyed, screaming as I squeezed the life out of Anna's hand. Anna told me to breathe in and out, though she looks like she's about to pass out.
"One...two...push!" I pushed hard, groaning loudly. Anna wanted to be a dickhead and looked between my legs. Her eyes widened and she covered her mouth as she moved her head.
"I didn't even know it could stretch so much...Jesus." She looked nauseous and I rolled my eyes, before pushing again.
"Alright, he's almost out. You're gonna have to push as hard as you can now, okay?" The doctor said. I hummed.
"Push!" He demanded and I pushed with all my strength, before panting. I heard no crying.
"W-what's going on?" Anna asked. I looked up in horror. The nurse tapped Salix's butt softly and he started to cry.
"Oh my.." I gasped, tears running down my face as I watched Anna cut the umbilical cord.
"Hey.. Sh." I watched as she held the dark skinned child. They wrapped him in a little blanket and handed him to me.
"Well hello." I cried, holding my baby to my chest.
"Beautiful." Anna cooed. The baby yawned, and opened his eyes and I gasped.
"Holy shit." Anna shook. Salix's eyes are identical to mine. The shape and my silver and blue color, but right around the pupil I see a little bit of green. I've never seen this before in my life. His eyes are wide open and bright, a head full of hair. Anna's nose and my mouth.
"Let's get you both cleaned up and then invite your family in. May you please step out?" The nurse asked Anna kindly. Anna kissed my forehead and our baby, before walking out the room. I looked down at my child and I've never been so in love.
After we got cleaned up and evaluated, I sat up on the bed and fed him. I watched as he drank from my breast and I smiled softly. After he finished he started to become sleepy and that's when everyone walked in. My mother and father, Anna's mom, Sofie, Dana, Sara. My family is here, and I've never been happier..