Part 23:

Second to last chapter... Sigh.

If I was offered a million dollars to trade my life, I would deny it with no hesitation. Everything has been going according to plan. My children are happy and healthy, and my future wife is happy. It's been a couple of weeks after having that weekend with Kathleen and her old friend. My foot is healed, but I called off work today because my doctor wanted to check on my health, just in case. Dana is at school, Kathleen is at NYU, doing whatever she does at work. Salix is laying on my bed, the healthy two month old gurgling and kicking his feet around. I'm now digging in our closet for the case that I've misplaced with the list of clients that David needs.
"Ugh!" I groaned, looking around. Why do I always misplace my work cases? Salix started to whine and I walked to the bed, lifting him up.
"What's up, little man?" I asked. He yawned and I walked to his room, putting him into his crib. I sprinted back in my room and turned the baby monitor on, before continue to search for the case, when I felt something strange.
"What the hell?" I asked. I pulled on the leather string, a large duffle bag falling onto the floor in front of me. A few yellow envelopes fell along with it. My stomach churned as I kneeled down and opened the bag.
"What in the world?" I hissed, looking at the stacks and stacks of bills inside the bag. I took one out, frowning as I touched the thousands of dollars wrapped in a rubber band as if it was glass. There has to be more than a million bucks in here. I moved the bag out of the way and opened the first envelope. I clenched my jaw as I saw photos of Kathleen and I in many different places, and one of us even sleeping on the couch. I swallowed hard, feeling my nose start to twitch as my blood pressure went up from the anger and panic running through me.
"Hooooo my god." I let out, pulling out the receipts and bills that were from Kathleen's bank account. I continued to read over and tears streamed down my face.
"Henry Vargas forwarding money to Kathleen Lara's bank account. One hundred million dollars." I hissed. She's working for my father? What? I pulled out a tape recorder and stared at it, before clicking play.
'It's nice to see you again, sweetie pie.' My father's voice cooed.
'I'm here for the deal. That's it. Where did you say I meet her tonight?' I heard Kathleen's voice. Why was it recorded?
'Silver moon. It's her favorite bar, owned by Edward Owens.' That's the bar I first met her at. The night we first had sex.
'Why me? Why not anyone else?' Kate asked.
'Because I think she'll have a better chance of falling for you. Like in high school.' My father replied. My stomach turned. I felt so fucking sick. So betrayed. The woman I am going to marry is working for my father?
'What exactly do you want me to do? Fuck her?' She asked. He chuckled.
'Make her fall in love with you. Then destroy her, and when the time is right, I'll have her to myself.' He replied.
'That's your daughter, though. Why are you trying to hurt her? What am I getting out of this?' Kate asked. I heaved slowly.
'She took something from me that I'll never get back. I won't explain what it is, but you'll get money. Lots of money.' He replied. The tape cut off after that and it slipped from my hand, falling to the floor.
"S-she.." I gasped. I can't comprehend what's happening. I can't believe this. Why would Kathleen do this? Use me for money? This love is fake? Our family? Everything we've built together?
"Oh god." I moaned, running to the bathroom. I emptied my stomach, staring into the toilet as pure rage shook my soul. I flushed the toilet and looked in the mirror. I started to huff and puff, my face turning red as more tears built into my eyes as I punched the mirror. I am angry. I am hurt. I am broken. I cried softly as I looked down in the sink. Why does this always happen to me? What have I done to deserve this? What about our son? My son? I cried harder as I pulled the glass from my knuckles and wrapped my arm up. I cleaned up the blood and brought the money bag and papers down stairs. I placed them under the table neatly and took three pain killers. I blinked rapidly.
"Think of a plan... Think of a plan.." I stated. I exhaled slowly, before grabbing my phone.
"Hello?" Sara answered.
"Sara." I stated, my voice cracking a bit.
"You alright, sis?" She asked. Tears escaped as I sighed.
"Uh, yeah I'm great. C-can you take Salix for the night?" I asked, sniffing quietly.
"Yes, of course. I miss my nephew. What time do you want me to pick him up?" She asked.
"Now. Thank you." I stated bluntly. She paused for a moment.
"Okay. See you in a few, I'm actually in Manhattan right now. I'll be there in about twenty minutes." She said, before hanging up. I put my phone on the counter and packed Salix's things. I changed him and walked downstairs as he slept in my arms. He snored softly and I sighed, waiting for Sara to come. I stared at the floor, my face molded into a mask of anger and fear. What was her final plan? Is there cameras in the house? Does she visit him in jail?
I jumped as the door bell chimed through the house. I went and opened the door to see my sister. She had a smile on her face, but it dropped as she analyzed me.
"Are you alright?" She asked as she walked in, grabbing her nephew.
"Y-yeah. Where's the kids?" I asked.
"Mommy has them." She stated, skeptically. I forced a smile, wiping my nose with the back of my hand. We chatted for a few, before I looked at the time. Kathleen will be here in a few.
"I have to run some errands, so I'll see you later?" I asked. She nodded.
"Say bye to mommy." She cooed, moving salix's arm toward me. He grinned, babbling lowly.
"See you." I waved, before slamming the door shut. My thoughts were racing faster than the speed of light as I pondered on the information that I've learned today. I decided to act normal, making a simple meal for dinner tonight. Stake with mash potatoes and some vegetables. As I was preparing the table, I heard the door open and then close quietly. My stomach churned with nausea. There wasn't butterflies in there. There were wasps stinging my insides.
"Babe?" I heard her call out. I exhaled slowly, trying to stabilize my heart beat.
"In here!" I yelled shakily, putting our plates on the table. I poured myself a glass of wine and lit a cigarette, feeling my eyes prick. She walked to the table, shooting me a smile. I wanted to wrap my fingers around her neck and watch her face turn blue.
"Hi, baby." She grinned, leaning up to kiss my cheek. It stung. I hummed, exhaling smoke in the air. She sat across from me, digging into her food. It was silent. Awkward. Tense. I felt murderous. Homicidal.
"Why are you smoking? I thought we agreed to quit?" She asked as I poured myself another glass of wine. I lit another one, ignoring her question. What is 'we', anymore?
"Where'd you go today?" I asked. She narrowed her eyes at me.
"Work..?" She stated as if it was obvious.
"Dressed like that? All casual like?" I asked, taking in her appearance. Black skinny jeans, loose shirt, converses.
"Yes." She lied straight to my face. I nodded.
"I'd never expected for you to be...who you are." I started as I stood up. She pushed her empty plate to the side, pure confusion in her face.
"I'd never thought you'd be so fake...so...phony." My voice became louder as I reached under the table. I pulled out the bag, and slid it across, the plates and glasses shattering on the ground. Thank God I have on shoes. Her eyes widened and I smiled at her. A twisted smile. An evil, psychotic, murderous smile that I've inherited from my father. I literally felt my eyes darken.
"What is this?" She asked, her voice shaking slightly. I pulled out the envelopes, sliding them through the wine, our noses touching.
"Your true fucking identify." And with that, I pulled out the tape recorder and clicked play. Her lips parted slightly and she jumped out her chair.
"You went through my things?" She yelled. I clenched my jaw.
"Our closet." I stated. Her eyes softened.
"I can explain.." She started as she walked toward me. I moved away, shaking my head rapidly.
"No! No you can't! You fake bitch! This entire time I thought.." I started to chuckle darkly.
"I thought what we had was real. Too real. You're using me for money. I bet you knew he was coming to try and kill me, before! At Sara's party I bet you knew.. You liar! Get out!" I screamed. She shook her head.
"No. What we have is real. I love you. I've fallen in love with you. Baby, please don't do this!" She cried. I stormed passed her, throwing the bag of money at her.
"Get the fuck out of my house!" I screamed.
"Let me explain. Please." She sobbed. I put my fist against my mouth, closing my eyes.
"All he needed me to do was break your heart. Make you fall in love with me and then leave. I didn't do it, though. I love you. I have a child with you, Annamarie. Can't you see that?" She cried. Crocodile tears. She came close to me and I tensed as her hand landed on my chest.
"My heart beats for you, Anna." She whispered, tears falling down her face. I felt my face soften for a split second, before becoming hard again. I pushed her hand away.
"I want you out by eight." I spat, before walking upstairs to my room.
"Anna, don't fucking do this!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, my bedroom door flying open. I saw red for a split second, and next thing I knew I had her pinned against the wall with my fingers wrapped around her throat.
"Get the fuck out of my house." I grunted through my teeth. Her face had a mask of terror, but I didn't care.
"A-Anna I- I c-ant.." She choked, pointing to my hand. I wanted to choke her until her eyes popped out of her head, but I didn't. I let go of her neck and she gasped for air, crying softly as she dropped to the floor.
"I didn't want any of this to happen." She cried.
"Yeah well, you should've thought about that before you decided to fuck around with my father." I hissed. She heaved on the floor and I looked at her. Her entire body trembled and she started to shiver, her teeth chattering.
"A-Anna." She hiccuped. I shook my head, sitting down on my bed, slowly. I put my head in my hands. I can't believe this is happening. I can't.
"Why did you agree?" I cried softly, looking at her. She sat in the corner, wiping her face.
"I wanted to see you. I haven't seen you since you kissed me on graduation day. I thought it would've been a good thing, except the part where I leave you. But I didn't wanna leave I love you so goddamn much Anna and you're pushing me away because of some money." She answered. I shook my head.
"I'm not breaking up with you because of money. I'm breaking up with you because you used me, and I had to find out for myself, and you're still lying to me. He's my biggest enemy and you're his fucking...pet!" I spat. She flinched.
"Can I at least see my son?" She asked.
"He's at Sara's. I want you and your things out by eight." I whispered blankly, before standing and walking out the bedroom. I heard her let out a blood curling scream and something break against the floor. I let out a breath, trying to keep my composure as I sat outside my apartment, lighting a cigarette with my shaky hands. I heard another crash and screams. My neighbor opened the door and peeped her head out.
"Everything okay, Anna?" She asked. I nodded, waving my hand around. She sighed and closed her door back. Thank God Dana's at a sleepover, today. Ive done forgot about her. About three cigarettes later, Kathleen walked out the apartment with a few bags in her hand. She put them down on the floor and pulled her rings off, before handing them to me. I took them, looking away.
"I love you." She said, before walking down the hallway. Tears started to cloud my vision as I looked down at the floor.
"I love you too." I choked. He wins, once again, but this time, I think he's won the last of it.
"Good game." I whispered, before walking in my apartment and shutting my door. What else do I have to lose?