Sing Into The Camera

Friday August 21, 2015

Zorah's POV

I'm in Choir working on reading my notes. I have to work with Jamal on this song called Set Fire to The Rain by Adele. Ms. Collins thought it would do justice if I do an Adele song for the Beginning of School Bash(BSB) next week. The BSB has a talent show where you have to sing a song with one to two instruments playing. Jamal is going to be my partner so I'd be comfortable.

“Ok that's a wrap,” said Jamal ending the song.

“How'd I do?” I ask smiling.

“You did great!”

“Really?”

“Yeah!”

“So you ready for next Friday?”

“Totally.”

Bring!!!

I grab my book bag off the floor and wait for Jamal to get his things. We walk out the classroom and walk around campus to my next class. It's been a week and Jamal hasn't found out about Jacob and I. Since I told Jamal I didn't have a boyfriend he's been flirting with me a lot this week. He's been walking me to my classes, volunteering to hold my books, and helping me with homework.. I know he likes me and wants me to be more than a friend but I just met the guy. I don't want to be like them girls who hook up with these boys before getting to know them.

“So I'll see you this afternoon?” asked Jamal as we stopped in front of my writing class.

“Yeah,” I reply smiling.

“Alright then.” He smiles and walks off leaving me in front of the class room.

I walk inside and get prepared for this assignment we have to work on.

----

“So the answer is three right?” asked Jamal as we work on our math homework.

“Correct,” I say looking down at his paper.

“Good, good. So Zorah I want to ask you something.

“Sure what is it?”

“Do you want to make a YouTube video of you singing?”

“Uh I don't know.”

“Come on. If you can sing in front of me you can sing in front of a video camera.”

I wait a minute before answering him.

“Well I've always wanted to sing for people so sure.”

“Great! Let me get my camera.” He pulls his backpack over to him and takes out this silver video camera.

“How long have you had that in there?” I ask him with a curious face.

“For a while,” he says smiling.

“I feel like you were planning this, this whole entire time.” We share a small laugh.

“Now what song are you going to sing?”

“Diamonds.”

“Oh cool. Now get ready.”

I quickly put my mid-back length hair in a bun and look at him with a go. He holds the camera up and gives me a thumbs up.

“Hi my name is Zorah and I'm singing Diamonds by Rihanna,” I say into the lens. I take quiet deep breath and start to sing.

Shine bright like a diamond

Find light in the beautiful sea

I choose to be happy