On One Knee

Zorah's POV

I'm at home for Christmas Break. It felt good to be back after that incident with Jamal and I. The work I missed at school was made up just in time before school let out and with that I had all A's and B's for the end of this term. I sit on the couch and watch TV with my little sister. We were watching Family Guy. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, so I looked at the message.

“Open the front door,” it read. I quickly get up and opened the door. There stood my best guy in the world –next to my daddy. I squealed and gave him a kiss.

“Come in!” I exclaim as I pull him in the house. I shut the door behind me to keep in the heat.

“Wow I haven't been here in ages,” he said looking around the house. I walk up to him and hold his hands.

“Let's go to my room.”

“Okay.” We smile at each other. We start to walk up the stairs but my sister spoke up.

“Where are you two going?” she asked getting up from the couch.

“We're going to do some adult talking,” I say. “No children allowed.”

“Come one! I just turned eleven last week! I'm not a child anymore!”

“Laren, listen. I need to talk with Jake alone. I'll be back down soon.”

“Fine.” She folds her arms and sits back down on the couch. I give a little laugh. I love my sister.

Jacob and I go up to my room. I shut the door behind us and we sit down on my bed. Thankfully my mom had put sheets and my old bed spread on it.

“So tell me Jacob. Why'd you come to my house?” I ask him.

“Well since my family decided to come to my aunts house for Christmas, I thought it would be nice to spend a little time with my baby,” he says.

“Aww! Oh wait! I just remembered that I have your gift.” I walk to my closet and pull out a box wrapped in Christmas tree wrapping paper. I walk back to Jacob and hand it to him. “Here you go.”

“What is it?” he asks shaking the box.

“Just open it,” I say smiling. He starts ripping the paper and it goes everywhere. He opens the box and there was a picture of me and him when we went out for pizza.

“Babe this is sweet. I'm going to show this to everybody!”

“Aww thanks! Now I don't want to be selfish but where's my gift?”

“Hold up.” He starts rummaging in his jacket pocket and pulls out a small, wrapped box. “Here.”

I take the box out of his hand and unwrap the paper. It was a velvet box. Jacob stood up and opened the box. There in front of me was a diamond ring and Jacob on one knee. Aww how sweet? Wait? Jacob...on one knee! OH MY GOSH!

“Zorah Reed, will you marry me?” he asked with a smile. I had tears forming in my eyes. I started fanning my eyes. I was too shocked to make out my words, so I nodded yes while jumping up and down like crazy. He smiled and took out the diamond ring. He stood up and slowly slid the ring on my finger.

“J-Jacob,” I said with tears forming in my eyes.

“I know baby, I know.” He looks into my eyes and smiles. I mirror his smile. He hugs me tight and gives me a passionate kiss. I can't believe I'm engaged. Talk about about the highlight of my life.

“Want to show your family?” asks Jacob breaking the kiss.

“Yeah,” I say. We smile and walk out my room hand in hand.

Downstairs were my parents, my sister, and one of my aunts.

“Hey guys,” I say with so much excitement in my voice.

“What are you so happy about?” asked my sister crossing her arms.

“Yeah Zorah,” said my mom. “What's going on?”

I look at Jacob and smile. He mirrors it and we both give a little laugh.

“Zorah,” says my dad in a stern voice. I look at him and sees his arms are folded. “Are you pregnant with Jacob's baby?” I raise my right eyebrow.

“Dad,” I start off saying. “I'm not pregnant. I'm...well...engaged!!” I could hear my sister screaming, hear my mom and aunt gasp, and see my dad smile slightly. My sister, mom, aunt, and dad come up and hug me and Jacob tightly.

Congratulations were being yelled, tears were welling up in my eyes, my aunt and mom were already crying, and my dad was patting Jacob on the back and having small talk. This is the best Christmas present I could ever get.

----

“You're kidding me right?!” yelled Kimoni on the phone. She's in Mexico visiting family on her father's side. I'm telling her about the proposal.

“No I'm not kidding!” I yell back.

“How big is the diamond?”

“Big.”

“Oh my gosh. Think about the wedding. Think about what the fans may think. I mean think about it; our career just started, Jacob and you are together, and our freshman year is half way done. Child this is golden.”

“Yeah it is. But there's a lot of work in a wedding. This is what I was afraid of. I wanted to say yes, but I have all this on my plate.”

“Then why'd you yes?”

“I couldn't say no. I mean we've been through a lot, but–” I was interrupted by Kimoni.

“Zorah. Look. I know you love Jacob. You would've never said no. You know that whatever happened in the past couldn't and wouldn't change your mind about him.”

“You know what. You're right. I have feelings for him that the past can't change. Well I have to go. Love you chica!”

“Love you too chick!”

With that we hung up. I could've said no to Jacob's offer. I know I'm still young but maybe I should give this a chance. Love comes at the weirdest times. I just wonder what was going in his head.

Jacob's POV

After I talked to Zorah's dad for a while, I left her house and drove to my aunt's. I have to admit when I proposed to Zorah that our love would become stronger. After all the things I've done, after all the things she's been through, what I put her though, I just know I love her. I hope she didn't say yes just to say yes. I want to know if she loves me. I can't imagine my life without her.

“Jacob. Jacob! JACOB!” yelled a voice. I snap out of my thoughts and look at who was the yeller. I see it's my Aunt Catherine. “Boy what is up with you?”

“Sorry auntie,” I say rubbing my fingers through my hair. “I've been thinking about something.”

“Well come on. The kids are starting to open gifts.”

I walk in the living room and see the little kids playing with the toys the got for Christmas. I see the pre-teens are listening to their iPods. I just sit on the couch nearby and watch as everybody talks away and the kids play. As I look around I see the one face I never wanted to see...Jamal. He was sitting in a corner of the room staring me down with disgust in his eyes. I look at him up and down. He walks over to me but before he could I stood up.

“I have an announcement to make!” I yell over the loud chatter. Everybody and everything goes quiet. All eyes were now on me. “Most of you know about my girlfriend Zorah. Well today I decided to propose to her. And thankfully she said yes.” All the adults start clapping and cheering. The kids go back to playing, obviously not knowing what was going on. The pre-teens and teens give a little clap and go back to what they were doing. I soon get into a circle of hugs from my parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents. I look over at Jamal and see that he has sadness, anger, and confusion on his face. It looked to me as if he was deciding to either to cry, kill me, or forget about the situation. Either way I don't care if he's all three, I just want to hold the one I love, trust, and adore. My beautiful and amazing fiancé, Zorah.