Chapter 23 - I should have seen that coming

“He’s with… Zayn”

Alice blinked a few times, taking the new information. She knew she had heard right but it surprised her so much, it felt like a slap in the face.  Harry and Zayn? Together?

“Zayn?” Alice asked in a high pitched voice. She didn’t know if she should feel what she felt at the moment. Her brother had ran away with her fiancé. Well her ex-fiancé anyway, but she didn’t feel betrayed or anything.

She didn’t know whether it was the fact that even though she liked Zayn a lot, she was still in love with Connor or the fact that deep down she suspected something even though she didn’t want to believe it, but she felt relieved. Harry was in good hands and so was Zayn.

She didn’t have to feel bad for Zayn now, cause he had Harry and she had Connor. It turned out to be perfect in it’s own way, except their parents were against it and both Harry and Alice would probably get disowned. Maybe Zayn as well, who knows? She wondered how Zayn’s friends felt about this whole thing.

“Hello? Alice? Are you there?” she heard a voice ask and she realized that she was still holding her phone against her ear and Louis had been talking the whole time.

“Yeah… sorry” Alice said, shaking her head to get the messed up thoughts from her head at least for a second.

“So what do you think?” Louis asked and she bit her lip trying to remember what he just said.

“Umm… I kind of… don’t know what you were talking about” she said trying to sound as sheepish as she could. She could imagine the diva look on Louis’ face as he rolled his eyes.

“I was trying to comfort you, and telling you not to be mad at them” Louis said sassily making Alice smile

“I’m not mad. I’m actually kind of happy for them” she sighed

“Kindda?”

“Well…” she laughed “I’m relieved. Me and Connor are back together and I didn’t want to leave Zayn like this. Good thing he left me first. I think I realized a long time ago that Harry and Zayn had a thing for each other but chose to ignore it” she shrugged while listening to Louis laugh from the other end “By the way, how’d you find out?”

“Zayn’s friend… Liam, called me asking if I knew if Harry had really ran away. How the hell was I supposed to know when I haven’t heard from him since he left for that trip with you, Zayn and that Jack guy? So I asked him what happened – of course I was alarmed when I heard the word ‘run away’ – and he told me that Zayn had left a letter in which he informed his parents that he was leaving with Harry and explained how much he loved Harry and how they wanted to be happy together. Right after he ended the call I called you, so here I am”

Alice listened closely, trying to keep up with Louis babbling and thank god she had hung out with him enough to be used to it, so she understood everything he said.

“A letter you say? At least he had more compassion than Harry. The only thing he left was a piece of paper saying ‘Don’t look for me’. The fucker!”  Just then Alice heard a loud yell coming from downstairs, making her snap her head towards the door. “I’ll call you later Lou, I think something is happening downstairs and I want to know what” With that Alice hung up on Louis, but she realized that she was still on the line with Harry.

“Took you long enough” Harry said in an annoyed voice and she didn’t know whether she should talk to her brother or go downstairs and see what was happening.

“Well I was talking to Louis and he gave me those interesting news” Obviously Alice decided that her parents could take care of whatever they were yelling about themselves.