Chapter 20: The Wedding

The wedding is today. I can't believe that it's already here. It seems like just yesterday Mr. Amerly was proposing to Lucy.
"Ann, come on, I need you to help me and Kate do my hair." Lucy said, running into my room. I smiled and went to her room. She was super nervous about the wedding, she didn't want anything to go wrong.
"Hey Ann, why aren't you dressed yet?" My mom asked me.
"I was waiting."
"Why?" Kate asked me.
"Because, I'm nervous."
"About what?"
"My scars, I'm so exposed."
"Bro, it's fine." She said and walked out. She came back with my dress In her hands. I took it from her and put it on. When I came back Kate was almost done with Lucy's hair. They were putting it up in a sophisticated bun. As soon as they were done Kate ran over to me and made me sit down. But I wasn't allowed to open my eyes. After about 10 minutes she told me I could look. Lucy didn't want us to just have our hair down like bridesmaids usually do. She insisted that Kate would braid our hair. I ended up with a Dutch braid like Katniss'. And Kate did her hair like Prim. Lucy looked at us and laughed. We were both super obsessed with The Hunger Games. My favorite character was Clove.
After our (mom, Lucy, Kate and my) hair was done came the biggest task. Getting Lucy into her dress. I was super nervous. Even though it wasn't my wedding, I was still nervous. I want this to go perfectly. Lucy and Mr. Amerly deserved everything to be the best.
"The best people deserve the best" I could hear my grandmas voice in my head. That was one of the first lessons she ever taught me. And maybe that was the one that stuck the most. Every time my dad would hurt me, I thought how I was terrible, how I couldn't be anything good, because I wasn't worth having the best. I hadn't seen grandma in a while, and I wonder what she would think of me now. Hell, I didn't even know if she was still alive.
"You look beautiful." My mom said and hugged me. I smiled at her and returned the hug. I looked at Kate and saw that she was smiling too. Everyone wanted to see this happen. Me and my mom seeing each other and getting along again. It was almost a fairy tale, except we weren't supposed to be the focus of the story.
"Enough of y'all looking at me and mom," I said and walked to Lucy, "We have a wedding to get you ready for." I said and smiled. Lucy walked over and smiled back. Soon we were all hugging and telling Lucy how amazing she looked. This went on for maybe 10 minutes before a knock sounded on the door.
"Um, not trying to rush you but we need the bride for the wedding." Jeremy said through the door. We all laughed at his awkwardness.
"Are you alone?" Kate asked through the door. I knew that she was making sure that Mr. Amerly didn't see Lucy before she was walking down the aisle.
"Not entirely, Nate is with me. But it's safe." He replied. Kate looked to Lucy for approval to open the door and she nodded. When Kate opened the door the boys extended their arms to us. I took Jeremy's arm and walked out the door. We lined up in front of the stair case and awaited our signal. Since Mr. Amerly felt that the house was beautiful and that the simplicity of getting married in their house was perfect we were having the wedding at the house. It was actually kind of nice. I mean the start of their life as husband and wife would be in the house they would stay in, it was beautiful.
"I'm so nervous." Jeremy told me and looked over at me. I kind of understood what he meant. He was nervous about how this would turn out, the last women his dad had married was his mom, the woman that abused him for years. He didn't want that happening with Lucy.
"It's ok. Lucy is different. She isn't that terrible women that you had to call your mother." I told him, not doing a well enough job at keeping my anger in control. He smiled at me and mouthed 'thank you'. I smiled back at him and squeezed his arm. He gave me one final look before the coordinator told us to walk. I took the first shaky step down the stairs and realized that I shouldn't be this nervous. It isn't my wedding. With each step I got a little more relaxed, after all I was still standing, with a little help from Jeremy of course. But as soon as we hit the aisle I got nervous again. You could see all of the scars on my arms. What would people think? I wish I had asked Lucy to ask about one with sleeves. The halter top didn't do anything except give me more support. Without it the dress may have slid right off. I smiled all the way down the aisle, I could smile at least so they didn't think I was depressed. When we got to the end of the aisle I looked at Jeremy before letting go, he gave me an assuring nod and let go of my arm. I took my spot on the side of the altar. When Lucy came around the top spiral of the staircase I saw my mom start crying. I wondered if Lucy cried when mom got married, except instead of tears of joy they were tears of sadness? I looked over and saw Mr. Amerly with a huge smile plastered across his face. It was obvious that Mr. Amerly loved Lucy, just from the fact that he always smiled around her. When she got to the altar I realized that she was crying too, this was her wedding day, to the person that she has spent the last 3 years with. And she has practically half raised Jeremy and Kate. Today her role in the family finally became official instead of just the role that they treated her as she had.
"We are gathered here today to celebrate the Union of Mr. Eric Amerly and Ms. Lucy Crane," the pastor or whatever he is said. I zoned out until the part where he asked if anyone objected the marriage. As soon as he asked I heard a female voice yell out that they had a reason why they shouldn't get married. I looked to Jeremy and saw him turn ghostly pale. Kate reached for my arm and squeezed it like it was all she could do. I felt a sharp pain jolt through my arm but didn't stop her. If her and Jeremy were this scared it could only mean one thing. 
Their mom
***********************************
Hey guys, I'm back and with a pretty decent update I hope. Let's try to get this to 200 reads off this chapter. I'm sorry for not going into detail about their mom but I want to do that in another chapter. Anyways, please tell me if I got stuff wrong about the wedding, I've never been to a wedding. Ok, I'm leaving now to work on the next chapter. Love y'all :)