Chapter 6

🖤

Madelyn had been away for some weeks to visit her family. She needed to get away for a while after Alaric's death and the brothers were busy dealing with supernatural stuff in town, so it was perfect timing.

"So, how have things been?" Madelyn asked Damon, they were on their way back to Mystic Falls after he picked her up at the airport.

"Good, good. We had a visit from a psycho vampire hunter and I've been training Jeremy to kill vampires for weeks now." Damon answered sarcastically.

"Wait, what? I don't understand?" Madelyn asked confused, turning in her seat.

"There's a cure for vampirism, but we need a hunter. That's where Jeremy comes in.
Each time he kills a vampire, a tattoo grows on his arm. That tattoo will lead us to the cure." Damon explained leaving Madelyn even more confused.

"Do you want to be human again?" She asked, feeling quite insecure, as they walked to the front door. She thought that Damon liked being a vampire and she wasn't sure what would change his mind.

"No." Damon answered, furrowing his brows.

"Who do you want the cure for then?" She asked stopping behind him.

"I know you can't live without your brother, so you wouldn't want to give it to him." She pointed out, staring at him with furrowed brows.

"It's for Elena." Damon finally answered, making Madelyn's body tense.

"You want the cure for Elena?" She asked in disbelief, just staring at him.
Confusement was written all over Damon's face as he looked at her, not able to read her expression. He wasn't sure why it was such a big deal for her.

Madelyn scoffed clenching her jaw for a moment before she looked up at him again.

"Everything just has to be about Elena, huh?" She spat harshly, feeling so angry with him.

"You know what Damon? Go for her. Get the cure. I'm out of here." Madelyn sighed before she turned around and walked towards her car.

"Maddie!" Damon called out, clearly frustrated, but she just ignored him.
She was so done with him always protecting Elena. She always felt like the second best and that she didn't deserve it.

🖤

Madelyn went to her old apartment, after arguing with Damon about Elena.

Luckily she had kept the apartment, so thatnsjebhad a place to stay, but it didn't feel like home anymore. She dreaded going to the boarding house to pick up all of her stuff.

So many thoughts went through her mind as she threw herself onto the bed. Why did everything have to be about Elena? Why was he still so protective of her?

The last thought, made her stomach tighten.
Silent tears started to run down her cheeks, falling onto the pillow.

She thought that they were stronger than that and that he was over Elena.
She finally made the decision, that she just had to get through the rest of the school year, and then she would leave it all behind.

🖤

Madelyn spend the next couple of weeks, trying to avoid Damon and Elena like the plague and stay out of the supernatural drama.
Luckily Damon wasn't the type of guy, who kept running after his girl, which made it easier for her to get on with her life.