Chapter 29

🖤

Damon tried to distract Markos with small talk and drinks.

"I'd invite you to stay for dinner, but I'm not very familiar with traveler cuisine. Although I'm sure it involves a lot of trail mix and gruel." Damon said sarcastically.

Markos was still looking around the house, and making plans for it, making Damon furious.

"I think I'll knock this wall down. I love an open-floor plan." Markos said, picturing it for himself.

"Damon, he doesn't know I'm here. Use the element of surprise. Not sure you're clever enough to pull it off. Just thought I'd put it out there." Julian suddenly interrupted from the cellar. Julian was the Traveler living inside Tyler's body.

"Well, all I can ask is that you leave me with a couple of good bottles of wine. You know, I spent half my life shop-lifting stuff. I assume you want to see the wine cellar?" Damon suggested.

Markos nodded, before following Damon downstairs.

Damon signaled to Madelyn, that she should stay where she was, so she did.

"Ahhh. Here's something you don't see every day." Damon said in the basement, as he looked through the vines.

Madelyn could hear him fumbling with the wine bottles as he read out a name and continued.

"I think I won this in a poker game. Or, maybe Stefan brought it back from the war. I don't remember." Damon trailed off.

"Where is your brother? I was hoping he'd be here. The doppelgängers seem to have slipped away without saying goodbye." Markos said.

"That's a good question. Why don't we find out?" Damon said with a fake smile.

As they walked through the basement on their way back, Damon quietly pushed the key under the door into the cellar where Julian/ Tyler was locked up.

🖤

Damon and Markos returned to the foyer, where Madelyn was waiting.

Damon was making a call.

"Well, Stefan isn't picking up, so. He might just be out of cell phone minutes." Damon said as he hung up turning to Markos.

Markos heard something in another room, making him look suspiciously at Damon.

"What kind of game are you playing?" Markos hissed.

Just in that same second, Julian jumped onto his back and started biting into his neck.

"It took you long enough!" Damon hissed at Julian.

Markos got Julian off his back and threw him across the room.

Julian got back up and ran his fingers over the spot where his fangs should be.

"My fangs. What the hell happened to my fangs?" Julian said, frantically.

"What?" Damon said confused.

Damon took a few steps forwards and got burned by the sun, shining through the window.

Damon jerked himself back and tried again, but he got burned again.