Chapter 12

🖤

Madelyn sighed as she walked through the front door to an empty house. It was weird being there, all alone.
That house had been her home for months when she was with Damon.
Now she didn't even know where she belonged or what she was supposed to feel.

She slowly walked upstairs to Stefan's room, where she plumped herself down on the bed.

She just stared at the ceiling as her thoughts trailed off to the moment, when she had reached for Damon's hand.

She was so confused. Her feelings for him had changed through the compulsion, but still, she felt drawn to him. Eventually, she drifted off to sleep. It had been a long and exhausting day.

"Hey. Did I wake you?" Stefan asked quietly, as she stirred in the bed as he returned home.

"Yeah. You did." She said sleepily, and a bit distracted as he took off his shirt.

"How is she?" Madelyn asked, studying his muscular body.

"I don't know." Stefan sighed before he crawled onto the bed.

He stopped only inches away from her face, making her breathing heavier.

Veins showed up under his eyes, making a smirk spread across her face. She knew exactly what that meant.

"Are you sure we should do this again?"She asked with a smirk.

"Yes." Stefan whispered, leaving small kisses along her jaw.

"Just for fun then." She agreed, still smirking.

🖤

The next morning she woke up in Stefan's arms. It was starting to feel safer being in his arms.

"What are you smiling about?" Stefan suddenly asked.

"Last night." She answered honestly, making a small laugh escape his lips.

"That was quite wild." Stefan said with a smirk.

"Wild doesn't even cover it." She chuckled.

She actually started to like her new careless self. She just had to keep it that way and keep her feelings out.

"I'll make breakfast." Madelyn said before placing a soft kiss on his lips.

🖤

Madelyn was making scrambled eggs as Damon walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning." She greeted him with a wide happy smile.
Damon responded with a weak smile.

"I guess you had a nice night." Damon said sarcastically, followed by a grimace.

"Oh, yeah. You sleep right down the hall. I'm sorry." Madelyn said sarcastically, with a wide smirk.

"But I did have a nice night." She continued still smirking. Damon made another grimace.

"What about you? Elena's still a vampire, she's still sired to you.
You must be happy?" She asked teasingly.

"What is going on with you?" Damon hissed angrily, getting enough of her snarky comments.

"What do you want Maddie? What do you want me to say?
That I love you and that I want to be with you?!
Now, there I said it." He yelled at her, leaving her wide-eyed for a moment.

"Nothing, Damon. I want nothing from you.
You missed your chance." She spat harshly.

"I'm done sitting around, waiting for you to make a decision." She continued, looking at him without emotion before walking off.