Chapter 31

🖤

Stefan and Madelyn quickly packed their stuff and got on the road.

"So, where are we heading?" She asked, feeling a bit better after visiting the Salvatore crypt.

"Portland." Stefan answered smiling.

"Why Portland?" Madelyn asked confused.

"I need to see a witch there." Stefan answered after hesitating for a moment, not sure how Maddie would handle it.

"It's only a small lead, but I have to try." Stefan said quietly, answering her questioningly look.

Madelyn nodded in response, before she turned her head, and looked out of the window as they drove.

Off course, she wanted to bring Damon back, but she didn't want to put her hopes up. She was emotionally exhausted from her grief.

Stefan found a hotel for them, as they finally reached Portland. Both of their phones were buzzing, because people were wondering where they were since they left without saying a word.

"Do we have any other leads, than this witch?" Madelyn asked as they were laying in each of their beds.

"No. I followed every lead, these last two weeks, and found nothing." Stefan said honestly looking up at the ceiling.

"If we can't bring him back, how do we ever move on?" Madelyn asked, with tears welling up in her eyes.

"I don't know." Stefan answered quietly.

"I was always fascinated by this whole vampire thing. Being able to heal people, immortality, being able to spend eternity with your loved ones." Madelyn said smiling to herself.

"And now... It just means I'm gonna have a hole in my heart where he's supposed to be, for the rest of eternity. And I'm not sure I can do that." Madelyn continued with shaky voice.

🖤

The next day, Stefan and Madelyn went to meet the witch.

They went to the bar, where she was working.
Madelyn let Stefan do the talking, and stayed in the background until Stefan signaled her to follow them into the storage room.

"I can't help you. I lost the ability to talk with the dead when the Other Side disappeared." The witch said, with a sad expression as she turned to them.
Madelyn felt the sadness and desperation wash over her, by her words. She said something to Stefan, but Madelyn didn't listen. The thought of living without Damon, made her crumble inside.

The witch stopped in the middle of a sentence and looked at Madelyn.

"Aren't you a vampire?" The witch asked her a bit confused.

"Yeah?" Madelyn answered questioningly.

"That's not possible." The witch said, whispering to herself, making Madelyn even more confused and uncomfortable.

"What's not possible?" Stefan asked confused, looking between the witch and Madelyn.