Chapter 17

🖤

"I'll go upstairs and move my things to another room." Madelyn said insecurely, before sharing a look with Damon after they returned to the boarding house. He gave her a weak smile before she walked upstairs.

She found herself another room and got settled in, now that Stefan had returned.

She walked to the window and looked into the woods, surrounding the Mansion, thinking about the look in Damon's eyes. What did it mean?

Shaking the thought she sighed and decided to walk back downstairs, to wait for Stefan to wake up.

Just as she walked into the living room, Stefan groaned and sat up slowly.

"Welcome back, brother." Damon said in his usual tone.

"Stefan. We missed you." Elena said happily.

"Uh, I'm sorry.
I--I have no idea who you people are." Stefan said, looking confused between the three of them after staring at them for a moment.

Damon took Stefan out trying to trigger his memory. They were out all night and didn't return home.

Trying to avoid Elena, Madelyn went to the Mystic Grill to get drunk, together with a whole bunch of people celebrating the bell-ringing. It was a kickass excuse to get hammered.

Madelyn was drowning her sorrows as a familiar voice said her name.

"Hi Damon. Hi Stefan." She said turning towards the two brothers.

"Come sit with us." Damon suggested.

She hesitantly turned in her seat and stumbled after them.

"So, how do we know each other?" Stefan asked her after they ordered a round of drinks.

"Well, I used to date Damon, so that is how we got to know each other. After Damon and I broke up, we hooked up a couple of times." Madelyn slurred.

Stefan looked down and nodded with a smirk.

"So, we were a thing?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah. Kinda." She answered smirking, clearly drunk by now.

A guy at the bar held out a shot and rang the bell, getting everyone's attention.

"To Uncle Steve!" He yelled.

"To Uncle Steve!" Everyone shouted.

Everyone raised their glasses and drowned their drinks.

"This town always so upbeat about dead people?" Stefan asked, after drowning his drink.

"Well, in the theme of morbid town tradition, you go back to the 1820s when everyone was so paranoid about the cholera thing that they would occasionally bury a body a wee bit before its time." Damon answered.

"So we have a holiday dedicated to burying people alive?" Stefan asked a bit surprised.

"Well, they were so paranoid that they would actually request to be buried with a string attached to a bell above ground, and then the whole family would hang around the grave for 24 hours in hopes of hearing the bell and that their loved one would come back, but now it's just an excuse to get hammered."

A waitress came to the table and started picking up the empty glasses.

"Hello." Damon said with his usual smirk.
"Hi." The waitress replied with a smile.

Stefan stared at the waitress' neck. Damon immediately noticed Stefan's stare.

"Uh, hey, darling? We'd love another round, please." Damon said, breaking Stefan's stare.
"You got it." She said with a smile, before walking off.