Chapter 9

Chapter 9

       That smirk. The smirk I had seen too many times on him. The smirk that tried taking my life and nearly took my boyfriend's. I never thought I would see that smirk again.

       Devon Burke.

       He walked into the school when I was at my locker. He looked at me, sending me that smirk before walking into the office.

       Belle was at my locker with me and saw him, her eyes immediately narrowing at him. "He's back," she hissed.

       "How is it possible?" I asked. "It's....It hasn't....He...." I had to admit, I was a bit terrified of him. After what he did, I hate seeing him. I thought I wouldn't have to for a long time.

       "He didn't pull the trigger," Belle said. "But why would the let him come back to this school where Grayson is?"

       "What about me?" Grayson said from behind me. I turned around, seeing the bags under his eyes. He was back to having a hard time sleeping once again. He wouldn't tell me why because he assured it was nothing. I knew him, though. I knew something was preventing him from sleeping.

       I didn't want to tell Grayson who was back because it would make him extremely angry. However, if Devon was in any of Grayson's classes, it would be worse if he found out that way.

       "Let's just say it most be National Bastard Out of Prison Week," Belle said, her voice seething in anger.

       Grayson furrowed his eyebrows, not catching what Belle was saying.

       "Devon," I said. "He's out of prison and here."

       Grayson's confusion turned to pure rage, his fists clenching so hard that his knuckles were turning white. "What?"

       "Don't be mad," I told him. "You'll add too much stress."

       "I'm not mad," Grayson said, though the anger was still showing. "Nope. Not mad."

       "Grayson...." I began.

       "Nope," he said, turning around and walking to his locker.

       I sighed, rubbing my forehead at his lie. He needed to stop lying to me because I always knew when he was lying or not.  "Poppy, wants going on with him?" Belle asked. "I know he hates me, but I do care about him. Is he okay?"

       "I can't say," I said. "It's between him and, well, him."

       The bell rang for first period, so I grabbed my biology notebook and textbook before walking with Belle to our class. Grayson was already there, his head rested on his desk. I sat down beside him, moving my desk closer to his. "Are you okay?" I asked.

       "Mhmm."

       "Are you sure?" I asked. "Grayson, I know you better than anyone. I know when you lie. This isn't about Devon." I moved closer, lowering my voice so nobody would hear. "Why haven't you been sleeping?"

       Grayson sat up, rubbing his eyes to look at me. "It's a side efect. I promise."

       "Oh, okay," I said. "You know, if you're ever having trouble sleeping, you can call me for a talk or we can video chat."

       Grayson shook his head. "No," he muttered. "It won't be fair to stop you from sleeping."

       I scooted my chair even closer, hooking my arm in his and resting my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish there was something I could do."