Chapter 30

Chapter 30

       Grayson walked into my bedroom and sat down on my bed. "Hey," he said as he rubbed my arm. "How are you feeling?"

       I sighed. "I'm bored. I hate laying in bed all day."

       "You don't have to," Grayson pointed out. "You could still play video games downstairs. None of that requires standing."

       "I know," I said. "Is it almost dinner?"

       "About that," Grayson said. "My mom called me yesterday. She really wanted to have dinner with my family and your family, so they're here now. I would have said no, but I was too tired to argue."

       "They're all here?" I asked.

       Grayson sighed and nodded. "Yeah. Even my brother and dad. So I am here to help you out of bed."

       After helping me back into my wheelchair, Grayson pushed me down the stairs. Dad set up a ramp when I was at school yesterday, so Grayson was able to get me up and down the stairs with no problem.

       Grayson's parents were talking to my parents when we came down and as soon as we were in the dining room, Grayson's whole family went quiet.

       Gale was the first one to speak. "Grayson told me what happened," she said to me. "I hope you get better."

       "Thanks," I said.

       "What did happen?" Gertrude asked.

       "Um...." I hesitated, not really wanting to tell them that I was paralyzed due to a car crash, which Grayson was driving.

       "She has paraplegia," Dad explained for me. "Paralysis in the lower half of her body. We have to wait for her to get into the surgery, so she's using a wheelchair."

       "Oh my!" Gertrude said. "How on earth did that happen?!"

       "Spinal cord injury," I said quickly before Dad could say it was caused by the car accident. Grayson told me he felt guilty about it, but I knew it wasn't his fault, no matter what he said. I was the one who yelled at him and started the argument.

       Luckily not being asked what caused the spinal cord injury, Grayson pushed me to the spot where the was no chair before taking the spot beside mine.

       When dinner was served, it started off quiet. Then, Gertrude decided to bring up something I knew Grayson was going to hate. "I'd actually like to talk about Grayson's current living arrangement," she said.

       Grayson sighed. "Mom...."

       Gertrude held up a finger to quiet him. "No, let me finish. I think it would be best if you move back home with us."

       "I can't," Grayson said.

       "Mom, he's eighteen," Gale said. "And he'll be nineteen in four months. You need to let him make his own decisions."

       Dad cleared his throat. "With all due respect, Gertrude, I think living here is what's best for Grayson."

       Gertrude shook her head. "I don't think you know what's best for my son."

       "But living here is what's best for me," Grayson said. "Besides, Poppy needs me more than ever."

       "Poppy isn't your responsibility," Gary pointed out. "She's seventeen, she can take care of herself." Honestly, I hated being part of the conversation, but I was a bit appalled by what Gary said. He thought I could take care of myself because I was seventeen, but apparently Grayson couldn't take care of himself. And he was a year older than me.