Chapter 33

Chapter 33

       "What's going on?" I asked Grayson as he stopped my wheelchair and the end of one of the aisles of chairs.

       "I have no idea," he said as he sat down beside me. "But who cares. It's getting us out of biology."

       I raised an eyebrow and looked at him. "Don't you need biology to be a veterinarian?"

       "Well, yeah," Grayson said. "But I can only have enough of your brother before wanting to pull my hair out."

       I slapped his shoulder. "Don't be mean about my brother."

       Grayson just gave me a smile as Mrs. Hanks, the teacher in charge of this year's graduation committee walked to the front of the auditorium with a microphone. All the grade twelves were called to the auditorium for a surprise event, something that was going to happen often.

       Everyone quieted down before Mrs. Hanks started talking in the microphone. "Welcome to the very first surprise senior event," she said. "For this one, we're going to be inviting eight already chosen people up here for a little competition. There's two conditions, however. One, these eight students don't know they're about to be called up here. And two, the eight being called are actually four couples that the graduation committee picked out. So first, we'd like to call up Loni and Jace." Loni was actually one of Belle's ex-friends and Jace was somewhat Devon's friend. They were best friends a couple months ago, but they haven't been that close since Devon went to jail and was released.

       When Loni and Jace were sitting at one of the four tables on the stage, Mrs.Hanks called up another couple, Leo and Stacy. They were both really sweet people.

       The next couple called up was Belle and Devon.

       Grayson snorted. "Ha! They have to go up there!"

       "I'm guessing you don't want to go up there," I said.

       "I don't like being in front of crowds," Grayson said.

       "Since when?" I asked.

       Grayson didn't reply because Mrs. Hanks began talking again. "And the final couple, the very first one that the committee actually chose, is Grayson and Poppy."

       "Dammit," Grayson said with a sigh.

       "Oh, come on, it will be fun," I said. Actually, I didn't even know if it would be fun because I had no idea what we were going to be doing.

       "Uh huh," Grayson muttered as he stood up and pushed my wheelchair to the final table, which actually already had one chair since I couldn't use one. Grayson parked the wheelchair right beside the chair before sitting down. On the table was a small whiteboard and a dry erase marker. What were we going to be doing?

       "Alright, so here is the event," Mrs. Hanks said. "This is a competition on these four lovely couples. A series of questions were created and I will be asking all of the couples the question to see which one knows each other the best. When a question is asked, whoever is holding the whiteboard will get twenty seconds to write down what they think is the answer. Okay, for the first question, I want Grayson, Devon, Leo, and Jace to hold the whiteboard." Once all four were doing so, Mrs. Hanks continued. "Here's the question. Who is your girlfriend's best friend?"

       I silently sighed at this. A week ago, I told Grayson that he surpassed Belle for the best friend status, but I really didn't want Belle knowing. I was surprised Grayson didn't tell her already.