Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       I ended up going with Grayson to his doctor's appointment. He needed someone to go with and both his mom and his sister was busy, so I offered to go. And it got me out of school, so why not go?

       Grayson and I were waiting in the waiting room for his doctor and he could not leave me alone. I was reading a magazine because there was nothing else to do, and he was constantly poking my side, something he knew I hated.

       When he poked me for the tenth time, I punched him in the shoulder. "Ow! What the hell, Poppy?!"

       I scoffed and looked at him. "You were poking me. I hate being poked."

       Grayson threw his arm around me. "Babe, I know you love it."

       I shrugged his arm of my shoulder and turned away to look at the magazine again.

       "Are you angry?" Grayson said. "Don't be angry at me. I know you love me."

       I ignored him as I flipped through the magazine. I never fully understood Grayson. One minute, he was all grumpy and depressed, then he was annoying the crap out of me.

       Grayson suddenly cupped my chin with his thumb and forefinger, turning my head to face him before pressing his lips against mine. "There," he said. "Are you still made at me?"

       "If I say no, will you kiss me again?" I asked.

       Grayson chuckled. "Good answer." He pressed his lips against mine, but he pulled away once his doctor, Dr. Wind, called him to her office. "I'm coming," he told his doctor before standing up. He turned to me, giving me one more kiss. "After this, I'm taking you to the café. My treat."

       "Just go," I told him, giving him a gentle push towards his doctor's office.

       I hoped everything went well with his doctor and honestly, I hoped the doctor told him to keep taking the pills. He might not think that they were working, but I did see a change in his behavior. And suddenly stopping was going to make him sick.

       The appointment didn't take that long because in about ten minutes, Grayson walked out of the office with Dr. Wind following. Grayson didn't seem angry, so I guessed everything went well.

       "Flower, I'm going to get the car," Grayson said. "Come down in like a minute." He kissed my cheek before heading out of the office.

       Dr. Wind walked up to me. "Poppy, right?" she asked. I nodded. "And you're his girlfriend?" Another nod. "I need a favor. He doesn't want to take his anti-depressants, but it truly is helping him. He doesn't see it."

       "Yeah, he told me they're not helping him," I said. "But I'm pretty sure they actually are."

       "They are," Dr. Wind said. "Can you make sure he does take his medication? It's the only thing that's helping him. Well, not the only thing. From what he's told me, you play a pretty big role in his life. So can you make sure he takes his medication?"

       I nodded. "Yeah, absolutely."

       Dr. Wind smiled. "Thank you."

       "Of course," I said before leaving the office. Grayson's car was already sitting in font of the office, so I hopped in. As soon as I was buckled up, Grayson leaned over and gave me a quick kiss. "What was that for?"

       "Just....Because," he said with a smile before driving off towards the café at the beach. There was still three hours left of school, but we were hungry, so school could wait. I would just tell my parents that Grayson's appointment took longer than expected.

       "So...." I said slowly while we were driving. "How did the appointment go?"

       "Good," Grayson said. That was only answer.

       "Good?" I repeated. "Did the doctor say anything about your antidepressants?"

       Grayson sighed. "Apparently, they are helping me so she said I can't get off of them. That's what she thinks." He muttered the last part as if he really didn't want me to hear it.

       "Grayson," I said. "You can't stop taking it."

       "I think I know my own body," he said. "It's doing nothing. It's crap."

       "Do you want me to be honest?" I asked and he nodded with a confused look. "I don't know how you feel from the antidepressants, but I know they're helping you."

       "Poppy, it increases suicidal thought," he said. "I tried killing myself twice since I've been on it."

       "And what about the two times before that?" I asked. "Before you met me? You weren't on antidepressants then. You weren't even depressed then. Trust me, they're helping you more than you think."

       Grayson groaned. "Poppy, they're not helping me! If anything, it's making it worse. I can't sleep, I rarely eat, I get so pissed at anyone who crosses me, and not to mention the suicides...."

       "Would you stop bringing that up?!"

       "You even said it yourself when you were talking me out of it," Grayson said. "You said it was the pills, not me! That's proof that even you think it's hurting me a lot more!"

       "Your doctor said it truly is helping you," I said. "You have to trust her. She is a doctor. Doctor. She knows everyone's body better than them."

       "Not mine!"

       "Would you stop being so stubborn?!" I asked. "This is a damn serious situation but you're not taking it seriously! I'm sick and tired of having to look at for you because you can't take care of yourselves!"

       "I can take care of myself!" Grayson said. "I don't need you babying me!"

       "I'm not babying you!" I objected. "I care about you and I don't want to see you hurt!"

       "I won't get hurt!"

       A loud horn sounded, followed by a truck speeding towards us. Grayson swerved the car to the right, trying to avoid the truck. We drifted off the road, crashing into a nearby tree, sending me into unconsciousness.

_______________

I hate having Grayson and Poppy argue. And now, it caused a crash....Let's hope they're okay.