Chapter 13

Chapter 13

       If there was one thing I hated the most about school, it was rumors that went around. Rumors that hurt other people, even if they are true. Rumors were hurtful.

       Especially if they were rumors about my boyfriend.

       When I walked into school, Thalia walked up to me. "Hey, Poppy. Is it true that Grayson tried committing suicide and that was why we were on a lockdown last week?"

       I was speechless. I did not know how to react. How on earth did she hear about that? The only people who knew about it were the teachers and me, and I knew for a fact that the teachers didn't say anything. And of course I wouldn't.

       "What?" I said finally. "No, of course not. Where did you hear that from?"

       "Everyone is talking about it," Thalia said. "If it's not true, you should probably put a stop to the rumors. I'll call Grayson to warn him."

       She reached into her pocket to grab her cell phone, but I stopped her. "I'll call him," I said quickly. "I should probably be the one to break the news to him."

       Thalia frowned. "Fine. Whatever." And with that, she turned around and walked away.

       Sometimes, I couldn't help but wonder with she still liked Grayson and hated me for dating him. I tried being nice to her and when Grayson or Belle was around, she was nice but other times when it was just the two of us, she always had a scowl on her face.

       Sighing, I pulled my cell phone out of my pocked and dialed Grayson's number. He answered after only one ring, something he always did whenever I called. It was one of his special boyfriend powers. "Hey, Flower. I'm right in the parking lot so I'll be inside soon," he said. "Couldn't wait to see me?"

       "Actually, there's something I need to tell you before you walk in," I said.

       "And what would that be?"

       I took a deep breath. "Everyone's talking about how you tried committing suicide."

       The other line was silent for quite some time, so I walked to the front doors and looked outside. Grayson was standing in the parking lot, frozen in his spot. "What?" Grayson asked, finally. "How did they hear that?"

       "I don't know," I said. "I promise that it wasn't me."

       "Poppy, don't even go there," Grayson said. "Of course it wasn't you. You know what? I'm going to find out who the hell started this." He hung up and I saw him walk into the school building. He walked in and stopped right in front of me. "People are going to stare at me."

       "We'll stop the rumor," I assured. "We just need the right people to do so."

       Grayson looked passed my shoulders, his expression turning into hurt. "They're all staring. Everyone is staring. I can't....I can't handle it."

       "Grayson," I said, cupping his cheeks and turning his face to look at me. "I could go talk to Tony about the rumors. The teachers will put a stop to this."

       "What if they don't?" Grayson asked. "What if everyone will keep talking about it? They're going to talk about me and think I'm a joke."

       "Suicide is not a joke," I said. "Nobody will think you're a joke."

       "I disagree," Grayson muttered, looking down. "Some people are already looking at me with an amused look."

       I turned around, seeing a group of students sending smirks in our direction, mainly Grayson's. I sighed, facing my boyfriend again. "Come on, we'll go talk to Tony." I intertwined my hand in his and lead him to the biology classroom. Tony was already there, preparing for today's class.