Chapter 45 | Final Chapter

Chapter 45

       I couldn't believe the day was actually here. Graduation. I was graduating from high school and soon enough, I would be at university. I couldn't wait, but at the same time, I was nervous. It was such a huge step, especially because I was moving out. I wouldn't be living with my parents anymore. I couldn't rely on them to get groceries, cook meals, make sure I woke up in time for school.

       It was nerve wracking.

       The ceremony was taking place in the gym -how special. There were chairs for the students to be already seated. Row by row would be called up to receive their diplomas.

       Once everyone was seated, Mrs. Goth got up on the stage that was set up and walked over to the podium. "Welcome, everyone, to this year's graduates," she said with a smile. "You have all worked so hard to get this far and the moment is here." After talking for quite some time, the actual ceremony began.

       Everyone was seated alphabetically by last name, so when each row was called up, we were already standing in order. Since my last name began with an M, I was about in the middle. My row was called up and we lined up by the stage.

       Even though all I was receiving was my diploma, my heart was beating really fast. There was nothing to be nervous about right now, but I was.

       "Poppy McCormick," Mrs. Goth said.

       Immediately, Grayson stood up from his seat. "Yes! That's my girlfriend!" he shouted, causing some people to chuckle.

       Mrs. Goth gave Grayson a sharp look. "Mr. Prince, please sit down and be excited for your girlfriend quietly."

       I looked at Grayson with a look that told him to shut up, but he just winked at me before sitting down. I sighed and shook my head before walking onto the stage. Mrs. Goth handed my diploma and shook my hand.

       Right before I walked off the stage, Grayson decided to ignore what Mrs. Goth told him earlier and shouted out another thing. "I love you, Flower!"

       "Mr. Prince," Mrs. Goth said even more sternly than last time. "Be excited for her quietly or you will be receiving a detention after the ceremony." Grayson sat back down again before I got off the stage. He was very interesting.

       Grayson was in the row behind me since there wasn't that many students with a surname beginning with an N or O.

       "Grayson Prince," Mrs. Goth said with a bit of irritation in her voice. I didn't blame her. Grayson couldn't just shout out what he wanted at the ceremony.

       ....Even if it was sweet for me.

       Grayson received his diploma, looking at me and drawing a heart in the air with his two pointer fingers. He could never take anything seriously.

       The ceremony continued with speeches made by a few teachers and the valedictorian. Mrs. Goth got back to the podium, telling all the graduates to stand. "I present to year, this year's graduating class!" she announced.

       And that was our cue to throw our caps in the air. I couldn't believe it. I officially graduated from high school!

       A pair of arms wrapped around my waist. "We did it!" Grayson said happily. I turned to face him, even though a stupid chair was in the way. However, Grayson moved it and stood in front of me. "By the way, did you hear that I love you?"

       I rolled my eyes. "Yes, everyone did. Were you trying to piss Mrs. Goth off?"

       "What? No," Grayson said with a smile. "I just wanted everyone to know that you're mine."