Part 12

I wake up to the smell of pancakes and maple syrup. Something I haven't smelled in a long time. My mom doesn't really cook unless we have guests or special occasions. I quickly get up out of bed and dash towards Matt's room.

"Matt, Matt, Matt," I scream in his ears. His eyes open suddenly with him saying, "What!" "Mom's making breakfast!" "Why? What? Now?l"

"Yes," I answer his questions. We hold hands and run down the stairs to get there first, before we see the horrifying face of our cousin sitting at the counter. "Matt, Maureen," Lori says, "So nice to see you two!" Her wicked smile left an image in my head. The same one from that awful summer day when I was 8. "Lori, what are you doing here," Matt asks sternly. "Lori is going to be staying in Matt's room till she finds a place up here for her and her daughter," my mom explains. Lori got knocked up five years ago when she was 18. Her daughter, Shelby, was standing next to her. "Where's Shelby going to sleep then," I ask. "With her mother of course," I cringed at that. But I quickly ignored that thought. "So come eat some delicious pancakes," Lori smiles widely. I cautiously grab a plate of pancakes with butter, but no syrup.

Matt and I sit in our dining room with Shelby. "You look weird," the blond haired, blue eyed child pointed out. "It's called cutting hair, geez, your an idiot for 6 years old," I make a teensy joke. "MOM Maureen's being mean," she whines for her mother. "What did you say to her," Lori looks at me with anger. "I said she was an idiot," I smiled. "You don't call my child an idiot, you piece of trash," Lori hit the back of my head causing me to hit my face on the table. My mom ignores it. Matt gets up and grabs Lori's hand. "Don't touch my sister, you rapist," he whispers with a yelling tone. "Leave me alone you faggot," Lori yells harshly. "DONT YELL AT MY BROTHER," I scream in her face as I slapped her across the face. My mom just sits in the kitchen not noticing a thing. We end the fight, so my brother and I could go get ready to leave. We were going somewhere to hang out.

I decided to not take a shower but try to at least style this crazy mess. I found one of my old headbands and put it on. My long bangs still hang in front of my eyes while the rest is pushed back. I decided to wear a Pierce The Veil shirt and black jeans. I put on my red converse.

"What's with the headband," Matt asks me when we both exit our rooms. "Is it that bad," I ask frantically. "No, it looks good on you," He smiles. I blush. We go back down stairs and exit the house. We jump in to my car.

"Where do you want to go," I ask Matt. "The mall," Matt says. I nod in agreement.

We get to the mall and park near Hot Topic, literally our favorite store. We go inside Hot Topic first. "I love that band, what's your favorite song," this girl with an emo type hair asks me. "Either Caraphernelia or Bulletproof love, you," I smile gently. "Definitely Bulls in the Bronx. Have you been to Warped Tour," the kind girl asks me as Matt slowly steps away. "No not yet, but I'm saving up for this year," I smile in shame. "I hope you get to go. I'm Nicole, but I go by Cole. I'm transgender, female to male," Cole says. "Oh I'm so sorry for misgendering you," I apologize. "Oh no don't worry about. My parents don't approve so I haven't gotten a chest binder or been able to transition," Cole says sadly. "Oh man that's gotta be tough. My mom hated me when I came out as pansexual," we shake hands. "Coming out sucks," we both agree. "Do you go to my school," I ask. "No my friend does, he brought me out here," Cole informs me, "There he is."

"Rennie, Hey," I smile and nod. "It's so nice to see you Mo," Rennie tells me. "I know. I'm here with my brother so I should probably go find him, see ya later," I wave goodbye as I enter Hot Topic and find Matt.

He is holding hands and hugging a boy I have yet to meet. "Matt you going to introduce me," I tap on his shoulder. "Oh yeah. Mo this is Alec, my boyfriend," Matt smiles with increased enjoyment. "Hey I'm Mo, this dweeb's sister," Alec and I shake hands. "I'm Alec, Wait you're the Mo? The only gay one on the cheer squad," Alec reacts. "Yea that would be me," I said. "You inspired me to come out to my parents," he says excitedly. "Really? That's such an honor, I'm so glad I could help you," I smile. "Yea and they totally accepted me," Alec said. "That's so great, I'm happy for you," I smile widely. I have changed someone's life indirectly. "I guess I'll let you two hang out," I leave them alone.

I walk out of Hot Topic towards the food court where I see a booth that reads, "Happy Hippie Foundation". I immediately walk up to the booth and say hello. "Happy Hippie is a foundation ran by Miley Cyrus and it helps LGBTQ+ teens who are homeless. It tries to get them into a safe home," the lady smiles at me. "Interesting," I smile back. "I'm Fiona in case you need anymore information," she informs me of her name. "I'm Mo. Can people like go to meetings for this, like group meetings," I ask. "Yes, we actually have one here in Atlanta. It's in this facility near Planet Fitness. We meet every Tuesday and Thursday," Fiona tells me. "I might just be there," I inform her. "Good, can't wait to see you," we shake hands and I leave the table.

I turn around and instantly feel something hot on my shirt. Coffee. "Oops, didn't see you there," Chelsea's recognizable giggle rings through my ears. "What the hell was that for," I yell going forwards to her. "You know, coffee," her wicked smile plastered on her cheek. "You are a bitch," I slap her cheek. Her face stares at me in shock. "Whatever fag," her hair whips in my face as if I'm nothing. "Hey you okay," Cole comes up to me. "Yea I'm fine," I laugh it off. "Funny how you hit her though," Rennie joins in. We all laugh together before I see Matt walking towards us.

"You ready to go home," I ask.

"I just want to cut," Matt says with depression covering his beautiful brown eyes.

LIKE

COMMENT

SHARE

VOTE