Part 14 (Luna)

"You stupid little bitch! How many times have I told you that you need to pick up the trash around here, huh? It's your fucking job," my mother's boyfriend, obviously drunk, yells forcefully. "No, you are a grown ass man and you can do it yourself," I try to walk away. Instead, he grabs my shirt and slaps me in my face, hard. I immediately run to my room and fall on the bed.

I lay there for awhile. "I hate my life," I start tearing up and my eyes soon become filled with tears. I slowly wipe away my eyes as I see my old sleeping pills on my table. I grab the bottle and pour a handful into my hand. I grab the cup of water in my other hand.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

My phone does the text message noise.

From: Stacy
    Come to the hospital! Mo needs you right now. You will probably see her outside.

I look at it confused. Then I realize, Matt could have attempted suicide. Oh goodness, he means the world to her. He is her whole world. What would she do without him? I look at my hands. I see the pills and the water sit there mocking me. "You should totally do this instead," they say in my head. I throw the pills across the room and drop the cup. Water spills everywhere. I grab my purse and run to the living room.

"Luna I'm sorry," I hear him say while I open the front door and leave. I catch the bus to the hospital.

Once I get off, I see Mo inside and she sees me. I stand outside to wait on her.

"Luna what are you doing here?"

"To make sure your okay."

"I am fine," she says as her eyes keep pouring out tears.

"No you're not," I approach her.

"You're right," she hugs.

Out of nowhere, she kissed me. A soft kiss. A kiss that you would get if you were dating and you were at a movie theater. The infamous move guys used on girls. That kind of kiss was sensational.

Mo drops to her knees and hits her fists on the ground.

"I'm such a selfish asshole," she says punching the ground. I put my hand on her shoulder. But quickly, I see her mom and Matt's Doctor walking toward the door, so I ran away.

She looked up noticing I was gone and the doctor was there. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but Mo started crying. I couldn't tell if they were happy tears or sad tears. All I know is she covered her face, so I assumed it was bad news. I guess Matt is dead.

I get a little teary eyed and start walking towards a gas station where I see my old friends. Edgar, Andy, Kaley, and Miguel. "Hey Luna, long time no see," Edgar's voice appears.

"Hey guys," I wave. "Wanna smoke," Miguel asks. I start thinking about whether I should or not. It's been a long time since I've had a smoke. "Sure," I agree. He gives me a cigarette and lights it up. I breathe in and breathe out.

A sense of relief came through. Like the sense of relief I get when I cut except now all I'm harming is my lungs.

"Thanks," I smile slightly.

"Wait where do you think you are going," Kaley asked.

"Going home," I replied.

"You gotta pay up to Miguel. He gave you a cigarette, now pay up," she slightly pushes my shoulder back.

"I'm sorry, I don't even have any money on me," I reply. She punches me and I fall to the concrete. The three boys yell fight at least the whole time. Punches after punches after punches continuously hitting my stomach and my face. I cover my face and they keep kicking me.

"Get away, get away," a woman yells at them with a broom. They scurry away with fear in their bodies. "Are you okay, young lady," her sweet voice asks me. "I guess," I slightly smile. "Oh come on then, I'll patch you up," she leads me into her store and takes me behind the counter.

"What's your name, sweetheart," she asks.

"Luna," I tell her.

"Beautiful, so what is someone like you doing out here at 11:00 pm at night," her soft hands put a band aid type thing on my head. "My friend's brother attempted or committed suicide and I went to go see if she is alright," I inform.

"She isn't just a friend is she," the old lady inquires.

I shake my head no. "We both really like each other, but then her mom found out after we escaped from a hospital," I laugh a little.

"Now how in the hell do you escape from a hospital," her face looks surprised. "I don't really know. Adrenaline I guess," we both laugh.

"Do you still love her," she asks. "Yes I really do," I look to the ground.

"If I haven't learned anything from losing the girl I loved when I was your age, it's that you may want to let go, but you shouldn't," she looks deep into my eyes. I smile from her words of wisdom. "You are very nice," I compliment her. "I learned from the best," she points to her sign.

Jacki's Store Of Goods

The girl she was talking about was Jacki, her childhood crush. She smiles at me and I smile back at her.

I walk out of the store after she patches up all the scrapes and cuts. I never got her name, but I assumed it wasn't really that important. I decide to go home.

My home from here is maybe about 3 miles, so I run fast through the rain. My hair starts sticking to my body. My eyes got wet with raindrops falling in them. Everything that's been happening has been happening for a reason. The book, the kiss, the escape, this lady, everything.

Mo and I are meant to be together. Even though we barely knew each other.

"I hardly knew Hannah Baker. I mean, I wanted to. I wanted to know her more than I had the chance. [...] [W]e never had the chance to get closer. And not once did I take her for granted. Not once."

Page 36 of Thirteen Reasons Why.

I've got to know Mo even more.