5

"We've already assigned each of you a bed," Rat Man said, looking down at papers on a clipboard he'd brought back with him. "Those staying in this room are ..." He rattled off a few names, including Sonya and Fiona, but not me or any of the group.

"If I didn't call your name, please follow me." The whole situation had taken on a bizarre taint, too casual and run-of-the-mill for the seriousness of what was going on.

I just follow the others, am I going to do it? I don't know, this is a hard choice.

Me and the others silently followed Rat Man out of the room and down another long, windowless hallway before stopping at another door. Their guide read from his list again, and Frypan and Newt were included this time.

"I'm not doing it," Newt announced. "You said we could choose and that's my bloody decision." He exchanged an angry look with Thomas that seemed to say they better do something soon or he'd go crazy.

"That's fine," Rat Man replied. "You'll change your mind soon enough. Stay with me until we've finished distributing everyone else."

"What about you, Frypan?" Thomas asked, trying to hide his surprise at how easily the Rat Man had relented with Newt.

The cook suddenly looked sheepish. "I ... think I'm going to let them do it." Iwas shocked.

"Are you crazy?" Minho asked.

Frypan shook his head, bearing himself up a little defensively. "I want to remember. Make your own choice; let me make mine."

I pat his shoulder ;

"You're doing your decision, and your regret..."

"Let's move along," Rat Man said and I did.

Rat Man didn't call for Minho, Nina, Thomas and me until they were standing at the final door, along with two other girls from Group B. So far Newt had been the only one to say no to the procedure.

"No thanks," Minho said when Rat Man gestured for everyone to enter the room. "But I appreciate the invitation. You guys have a good time in there." He gave a mock wave.

"I'm not doing it, either," Thomas announced. He was beginning to feel the rush of anticipation. They had to take a chance soon, try something.

Rat Man stared at Thomas for a long time, his face unreadable.

"You okay, there, Mr. Rat Man?" Minho asked.

"My name is Assistant Director Janson," he replied, his voice low and strained, as if it was hard work to stay calm. His eyes never left Thomas. "Learn to show respect for your elders."

"You quit treating people like animals and maybe I'll consider it," Newt said. "And why are you goggling at Thomas?"

Rat Man-Janson-finally turned his gaze to Minho. "Because there are many things to consider." He paused, stood straighter. "But very well. We said you could choose for yourselves, and we'll stand by that. Everyone come inside and we'll get things started with those willing to participate."

Again, I felt a shiver pass through my body. Our moment was coming, I knew it. And by the expression on Minho's face, I knew it, too. They gave each other a slight nod and followed Rat Man into the room. As we enter, someone hug Thomas...and it's Brenda! I was about to ask , but someone also hug me. I was shock but soon tense down when he whisper;

"I'm Aris, you may don't know me, but I know you. I've been watching you. Don't trust them, they want something that you don't have. Whatever you do... don't remember. And one more thing, you're a normal human...until they change that..."

I was about to ask more, but Rat man had shout his name like thunder.

"Yeah yeah, just glad she's survive." But again, before he leave... he do something I don't even expect him to... he kiss me on my cheek and run out from the room.

"That boy! What he say?" Rat man asked

"He... convince me to accept the offer"

Rat man smile and nod,

"Now... do you accept? Only you who didn't make your choice yet"

I widen my eyes, time to choose? Already? I glance to the others that eventually say no.

"Minna, no" Minho said it calm and tight.

"Minho...I'm sorry, it's for everyone's sake"

I glance to Janson that already smile...

" I..."