Chapter 10-Zaylor

I sat alone at the Zeus table and quickly ate my dinner.

During announcements later everyone was surprised to see Sydney come up instead of Chiron. She said Chiron and Rachel Elizabeth were going to check out a new student at a nearby boarding school who seemed pretty powerful. But Sydney can't lie to me and get away with it.

After dinner, I met up with her on the way to the amphitheater.

"Hey, Syd," I said, leaning against a random tree. "Why ya lyin' to the camp?"

She looked taken aback, and she knew I caught her.

"Wha-what do you mean?" she stuttered.

"Sydney," I said standing up. "What's really going on?"

She sighed. "Is your brother going to the sing-along?" she asked.

"Yeah," I responded.

She sighed again. "Fine," she said. "I'll meet you in your cabin in ten minutes. Then," she paused, "then I'll tell you what's really going on."

I nodded. "Alright," I agreed. "See ya in ten."

...

Ten minutes later I sat on my bunk looking at magazines when Sydney walked in.

"Hey, Syd," I said. I threw the magazine on my night stand and sat up.

Sydney closed the door and locked it before she went and sat on my bunk next to me.

"Alright, talk," I said.

She sighed. "Okay, Chiron is missing."

"What?" I exclaimed, standing up.

"Rachel Elizabeth doesn't want anyone to freak out, so she had me lie to everyone and say she had to go somewhere with him," she continued. She looked at me annoyed. "Happy?"

"Wow, calm down, Pine," I said. "Tell me what I can do to help."

She put her face in her hand. "I don't know," she said. "You'd have to ask Rachel Elizabeth. And she's really stressed right now, so..."

Before she finished, I sat up and walked to the door.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm going to find Rachel Elizabeth," I opened the door, "and find out what's going on," I finished, walking out of the door.

"Wait, Zaylor!" Sydney said, running out of the house after me. "You can't!"

"Why not?" I asked as I continued walking towards Rachel Elizabeth's cave.

"Because, like I said, she's extremely stressed; you don't want to mess with her right now," she argued.

I shrugged and kept walking. "Well, we'll have to see what happens then, aye?" I said.

"Ugh," Sydney said. "Maximo, you're the most stubborn person I've ever met. Ever."

"I know," I said. "And I'm proud of it."

By this time we were halfway to Rachel Elizabeth's cave. Yes, that's right, she lives in a cave. Don't ask, I don't know why myself.

When I finally got to the cave's entrance, I barely knocked before I barged in.

"Zaylor, no!" Sydney said, running in after me.

"Alright, Dare," I said. She looked at me. "What's going-"

Before I could finish, green smoke filled the room. Rachel Elizabeth almost started to float, and her eyes turned milky white. When she opened her mouth, the green smoke poured out. In a raspy, ancient voice, she chanted:

"Seven half-bloods on a quest,

as three continue, three go west.

Before they continue on their way,

find Hades's daughter, bright as day.

Hades's daughter is the key,

to finding what you need.

To the Underworld you shall go,

one won't come back, a Hades's foe.

Do not trust a newer face,

or you will bring the camp disgrace."

As she finished, the green smoke went away, and she collapsed on the ground.

Sydney and I quickly ran over and laid her down on her bed. We then sat on a couple extra chairs she had laying around.

We sat in silence for a minute before Sydney said. "A second quest already, huh?"

"I guess," I said, staring into space. "But I just came back. I don't understand." I looked at Sydney. "Is this normal, or is it for the most awesome demigods only?"

Sydney chuckled, and I smiled.

"She'll be up in no time," she said. "Then we'll see."