Chapter 20 - Zaylor

We got on the bus (a different one, this time) and began the long stretch to our next stop on our way to Toronto. 

Eryn looked pretty tired getting on, so Jace told her to get some rest. 

"I'll take the first shift," he said compassionately. 

Taking him up on his offer, I too tried to fall asleep, but to no avail. I was too concerned with trying to set the prophecy straight.

"What are you thinking?" Jace asked, about half an hour into the ride. 

"The prophecy," I admitted, "'One won't come back, a Hades' foe.' What is that supposed to mean? I don't wanna loose anybody..." 

He was quiet for a minute, but then said, "Everybody makes their own sacrifices. Maybe... maybe someone needs this."  

"Maybe..." But I wasn't picturing it. 

After another few minutes of silence, Jace asked, "So how will we know it's her, anyway? Hades' daughter, I mean." 

"I don't know," I admitted, "I've never seen her before either."

"It's Hades' daughter," he said after thinking, "I'm guessing we'll know her when we see her."

"Unless she's the complete opposite," I said, "from Hades, I mean."

He laughed and relaxed in his seat. The sun outside of the bus window was setting, casting pretty shades of pink and orange inside of the bus. 

"...The prophecy says not to trust a newer face," I brought up on a more serious note, "You don't think it's talking about Eryn, do you?" 

He hesitated, then said, "As long as you go with your gut, trust yourself, I mean, we'll be okay. I mean, you are the quest leader, after all."

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks," I said, "You look pretty tired yourself. Get some rest; I'll take the first shift." 

"You sure?" he asked. 

I nodded. 

"Thanks." 

And he closed his eyes as he leaded his head into his seat. 

I stared out the window at the pretty sunset for a few minutes. Pretty soon, as it got darker and darker, my eyelids got heavier and heavier. 

A little shut-eye won't hurt, I thought. 

Unfortunately that was the last thing I thought before I was out cold.