I don't love you (revised)

At first I don't hear his question, the screaming in the crowd is over powering it.

"What?" I feel my face turning pink and my cheeks begin to burn.

"I said it was very sweet that you volunteered for your sister. She must be very special to you."

"Oh. Yes, she is. She's very special to me." Caesar nods his head along with my answer, without missing a beat.

"I think every one here really loved your outfit for the tribute parade. Tell me, was it real fire?" He asks.

I think back to when Cinna told me it was fake, but if anyone asked me, it was real. I look up to the man with blue hair and stare at his perfect ponytail. It was obvious it was fake, no one is born like that. Caesar had been doing the interviews for as long as I can remember, and each year he had a new hair color. Last year it was crimson. This year it's the ugliest shade of blue.

I finally respond after looking at him for more than a few seconds. "Yes, it's very real." I put on my fake smile I have to use while in the Capitol. "In fact, I'm wearing it right now. Would you like to see?"

The crowd erupts with cheers and screams as I stand to spin. I hear the burning of my dress as I twirl in a circle. I come to a stop and the world is just a blur. I see sparkles and hear talking, but I can't understand it.

"My my! What a beautiful dress!" Caesar must really be astounded by it. He takes my hand, places a kiss on it, and screams "THE GIRL ON FIRE!" With that I leave the stage, and I don't look back.

I had no idea what to do after my interview, so I waited back stage and watched as Peeta did his. Peeta and Caesar crack a few jokes about smelling good and how Peeta loves Caesar's hair. However, when Caesar asks Peeta if he's got a special girl back home, the mood suddenly becomes very serious. Peers smiles and drops his head before responding. "No, I don't."

Caesar doesn't let Peeta's soft answer stop him, in fact he continues to prod him with questions. After minutes of silence Peeta finally looks up and a smile grazes his face.

He clears his throat before speaking. "Well, there is one girl, but she doesn't know that I exist."

"I find that very unlikely!" Caesar says. "What girl wouldn't want to date a handsome man like yourself?"

There's a feeling down inside my gut and it's causing me to stir in my seat. I don't know if I'm mad that he has a girl he admires, or more mad at the fact that it's not me. I don't feel that way about him, but I can't help the way I'm reacting.

"Why don't you ask the lovely girl out when you return." Caesar states and Peeta shakes his head.

"It won't work."

"Why not?" Caesar questions.

"Because she came here with me."

My jaw drops, my ears ring, I feel a little dizzy. He loves me. It's me, I'm the girl.

I hear Caesar say something about bringing me up on stage and then I feel the hand of a guard pushing me towards him. Peeta looks scared, like he's afraid of what I'll say. He probably thinks I don't share the same feelings and he's right, because I don't.

"Katniss, my dear did you hear what Peeta has said!," says Caesar.

"Yes." My voice cracks and I clear my throat before swallowing.

"And what do you have to stay to him." I look at Peeta, his eyes are so big and round, waiting for a response.

"I don't know what to say." My voice is soft but I know that he heard me.

"Well you heard her folks! I'm afraid that's all the time we have. Ladies and gentleman say goodnight to the Star Crossed lovers of district twelve!"

We're not star crossed lovers.

When Peeta and I reach the twelfth floor, I grab his hand and pull him to the roof.

"Why would you say something like that?" I ask. I'm so angry that the thought of hitting him actually makes me smile.

"I wasn't lying." He tells me and reaches for my hand.

"No." I shake his hand off of mine and shiver as the wind blows.

"Katniss," he says softly and pleads with me.

"No, Peeta. If people think I'm weak because of what you just did, then that's on you." I yell at him and walk towards the door.

I quickly turn before I leave and look him in the eyes. "I don't love you and trust me when I say that you shouldn't love me."

A.N. The next chapter she will be in the arena. Will her and Peeta be a team? Will he loose his leg and Katniss get burned? Who knows..well, I do.