Burnt Bread (revised)

I guess there is a time and place for fun, but I don't think Rye and Peeta understand that concept. As I sit on the counter at the Mellark bakery I watch Rye and Peeta throw flower at each other. It started out with a simple pinch of it being thrown onto Rye and has turned into a full on flour fight.
Peeta takes a handful and throws it at Rye's head, Wheat and I laugh from behind the counter.

"You wanna play dirty! I can play dirty!" Rye yells across the bakery to Peeta. He just laughs him off and grabs another handful.

Rye jumps up and is hit with another handful of flower. He shakes it off of his head and continues to run. Straight for the counter, straight for me. I yell with laughter and try to get away, but Rye grabs me at the last minute. Peeta stands with a handful of flower aimed at Rye.

"I do believe I have a hostage." Rye says with laughter. "Wouldn't want to hurt your pretty girlfriend now would you." I laugh along with Rye and Wheat, but Peeta stands still not saying a word.

"Actually, she's my fiancé." He says with a smirk and throws the whole container of flour at Rye. White dust falls around our heads and onto our clothes. I laugh and drop to the ground with Rye.

An arm pulls me out of the floury haze and onto his side. Peeta's blue eyes look into mine and for once I don't see the pain from growing up to quickly, I see love and laughter. He leans in and has his lips mere inches from mine, but instead of a kiss I get a boyish grin.

"You have flower in your hair." He whispers to me.

If I hadn't heard Rye say a few curse words and try to get up and fall back down, I probably would have kissed Peeta. The flour still hangs on our hair and his hands are on my waist, but the moment is over and we both begin to laugh.

"I'll get you back." Rye says through clenched teeth and a white floury face.

"Now, now," Wheat steps in between the three of us and raises his hands.
"I think it's only fair that we let Peeta win, after all he is the baby." We all laugh except for Rye, who looks like he might burst with anger and this only causes us to laugh harder. I shake my head and grab Peeta's hand.

"Come on," I say to him through laughter. We start to leave the bakery when our feet slip on the flour and we fall into a pile of the white dust. It fills the air and falls on to our bodies. Laughing, I start to move my arms up and down on the ground, almost as if I'm doing jumping jacks. Peeta stares at me with a bewildered look and begins to laugh.

"What?" I say laughing, "I'm building a flour angel." I tell him with a serious face.

Rye, Peeta, and Wheat burst into a fit of laughter and get on the ground creating "flour angles" with me.
Maybe life can go on, maybe it can be good again.

"Hey little duck." I tell prim as I open the door to our old house in the seam. "What are you doing out here?" I sit down at the old rickety table with her. She slouches her shoulders.

"Sometimes I just wonder what it would have been like if you were never reaped and we stilled lived here." She tells me with a sad look. "I miss it." She whispers and I take her hand in mine.

"I know, I do too." I tell her with a sad smile.

"Are you happy about getting married to Peeta?" She asks me with an excited face. I nod my head.

"I wish it could have been in a different way, but I'm excited I get to spend my life with him." I tell her with a shadow of a smile.  She smiles along with me.
"Come on, I guess it's time to get back to the real world." She says, standing up and leaving the small shack we called home for so many years.