Two Braids (Revised)

My breathe is ragged as I finish the mile long run and come to a stop. Peeta insisted that I sit the training out considering I'm pregnant, but I ignored his request. Instead of running three miles like the boys, I run one. It's simple really, just moderation.

My once flat stomach becomes rounder every day, the tightness of my clothes (which is now very noticeable), and the morning sickness are all coming on full force. At night, Peeta will rub my stomach and talk to the baby, while I silently wipe the tears that fall down my cheek. Becoming a mother was a concept I was beginning to come to terms with, but when the quell was announced all my fears came rushing back. No one knows how I actually feel about this baby, except for me.

"You look a little thirsty." I hear Prim laughing while handing me the water bottle. "How's the training coming along?" She takes a seat next to me and begins to draw a line with her shoe in the dirt. I stare at my sweet, little sister and watch as her golden blond hair hangs in two braids, and her bright bonnie, blue eyes shine.

"It's okay. I never seem to see Peeta anymore though." I whisper to her. She turns to look at me and her stare is filled with an intense worry, something I never see in her eyes. The little girl I screamed "I volunteer" for is no longer around. She's been replaced with a young lady, someone who takes care of the sick when my mother can't, someone that already loves this baby an unconditional amount, and someone who can see through me like no one else.

She moves to sit on the step behind me and places her legs outstretched in front of her, with her toes just barely brushing my back.
"Lean your head back, and close your eyes. " She tells me as I follow her command. The bright spring sun shine slowly turns to blackness as my eyelids close. Her voice rings through my ears and I pay close attention to the words. Savoring every moment I have with her, because I won't have many more.
"Why aren't you seeing Peeta, you live together?" She asks me as she runs her hands through my braid, pulling it apart and playing with it.

"I don't know, it's as if he is distancing himself from me. Maybe it's a guy thing, I just don't understand why he would spend so little time with me when we only have a few weeks left." I respond to her question, yet I'm still not sure my answer is correct. Her hands stop for a split second, but she then returns them to my hair, putting it in two braids instead of one.

"I think you should talk to Peeta about this, after all he is the one you fell in love with." I can tell by the way her words are pronounced that they were said through a smile. I nod my head and continue to lay on the stairs, listening to the crickets chirp.

"So while we have been working our butts off getting in shape, you have been having hair time." I hear him ask us while laughing, my eyes peel open and I'm met with a boyish grin. I sit up and grab the water bottle offering it to him. "Gale is coming over in an hour, are you going to do snares with us?" He asks me with a quizzical look.

"Yeah, but first can we go somewhere and talk. I need to tell you something." I ask him, hoping he won't read into the tone of my voice. As he takes my hand and helps me up, I see Prim flash me a wink and a thumbs up, giving me a smile.

I hold his hand tightly as we walk through town and to the place he needs to see. "Are you going to tell me where we are going?" He asks while laughing. I shake my head at him.

"It's more fun to have secrets." I tell him. As I turn to face the road I come to a stop. I stare at him waiting for him to say something. The district 12 school stands behind us and the sounds of screaming and laughing children fill the air.

"Why are we at the school?" He asks. I pull him down in the grass with me and let go of his hand.

"I thought that maybe you needed to be reminded." I tell him softly. "Reminded of when you fell in love with me." I cast my eyes upon a small dandelion in the grass and keep my head low.