Confronted (Revised)

"Well if it isn't the one and only rosy posey." I hear as I come into the bakery. A smile tugs at my lips as I turn to face one of my brother-in-laws. He stands behind the counter with flour in his hair and a towel over his shoulder.

"Hi Rye," I say to him as I look around.

"She's not here, don't worry." I nod my head and jump up on the counter. On the slow days at the bakery, I'll come and watch the boys work. Rye and Peeta wrestling, while Wheat and I stand behind the counter laughing.
"How are you doing? I heard about the quell." He finishes quietly.

"I'm alright. Is Peeta here?" I take a bite out of the oatmeal cookie and swing my legs back and forth.

Peeta walks out from the back of the bakery and answers the question himself. "Hey Kat, is Rye crying about losing another wrestling match?" He jokes around. I admire him for being able to stay happy through everything.

His strong arms encircle my waist as he hugs me tightly and kisses my cheek, leaving me blushing.
"I think it's time Haymitch tells us what he knows about thirteen, we can't be kept in the dark." He whispers into my neck. I nod my head and he takes my hand, opening the door.

"Bye rosy posey." Rye yells and I laugh while waving goodbye.

"Haymitch!" Peeta yells through the house while I grip his hand tightly. "Haymitch, where are you!" The table is scattered with liquor bottles and the stench of vomit is back. My foot catches on the chair and I begin to fall, when Peeta tightens his grip on my hand and catches me before I hit the ground. My hand subconsciously goes to my stomach, as if it's protecting the child inside. "You okay?" He asks me while looking into my eyes with a sad frown.

"I'm fine." I say with a nod. "Let's just find Haymitch and get out of here."

His back is to us, when we peer through the kitchen window and see him out back. Rocking in his rocking chair, while once again drinking. His shaggy blonde hair hangs in greasy strands, hitting the nape of his neck. He doesn't turn his head at the sound of the squeaky door opening, but continues to stare off into the distance.
"Who told you?" His voices rings through the back porch. I glance in Peeta's direction and send him a questioning look, filled with worry.  "Was it Effie, or was it Cinna?" He turns his face and I'm shocked to see his eyes aren't blood shot eyes and his lips aren't cracked. I shake my head and squeeze Peeta's hand.

The chair screeches across the cement pavement as Peeta pulls the chair behind him.  Taking a seat and pulling me into his lap, he begins.
"How'd you know we knew?" He asks Haymitch. He rolls his eyes as if the answer is obvious and takes another sip of his drink which I'm shocked to see is coffee and not whiskey.

"I'm your mentor, I know all the secrets between you two." He points his finger towards the two of us. "And I suggest you remember that." He finishes.

"Tell us everything, Haymitch. Is it alive, is district thirteen alive?" He stares into my eyes and I feel as if he is burning a hole into me.

"You know, some secrets are better left in the dark." He says. I shake my head and stare back.

"Not this one." The outside air filled with chirping crickets runs quiet at my statement.

"I want you to tell me that there's some place where Katniss can be safe, where my child will be safe. Because when Katniss wins the Quell, and she will win, we're going to make sure of it. If District 13 exists, and you know something about it, you better tell me, because Katniss and the baby are going to go there. They're going to escape from the Capitol and from Snow." Peeta admits into the cold air.

"I never meant to start a rebellion, neither did Katniss, but Haymitch, I've never had someone to fight for. We all hate the Capitol and especially Snow, but we never stopped any of his games. We never had a reason to. I've got all the reason in the world now, Haymitch. I wont let my child to grow up in this world. I want a safe place, where I can watch him or her grow up happy. No reapings, no games, but just peace. So if there's any way for that to be true, then tell us." Peeta holds Haymitch's gaze, his blue eyes shining with tears. "Please, Haymitch."

"Where do you want me to start?" He asks us as he looks around.

"Is district 13 alive?" I ask, taking Peeta's hand and griping it tightly. Haymitch pauses and shakes his head slightly as if he is upset he is revealing the answer.

Finally looking us directly in the eyes, he answers, "Yes."

"Tell us everything," Peeta demands and Haymitch nods.

"Alright," he says sighing, while putting down his coffee and cracking his fingers, preparing us for the truth.

It takes over an hour for Haymitch to tell us everything, and at the end of his speech, I'm speechless. Bonnie and Twill were right. District 13 is secretly alive, but not necessarily thriving. The survivors managed to move underground and since then, have survivived for nearly 75 years. It was truly a city underground. And it was the center of the rebellion. 

"What does that mean? Where does that leave Peeta and me?" I ask after Haymitch finishes. He turns to look at us and once again sighs, bringing my hope down.

"I don't know, the Capitol already decided to put us back into the arena and I can't do anything about that." He tells us. I begin to speak again but he cuts me off. "And neither can the rebels." I slowly nod my head, taking in all the new information.

"Katniss and I start training tomorrow, I suggest you do too." Peeta tells him, and with a curt nod of his head we leave.

"Peeta, will you promise me something?" His hand stops the circular motion it was making on my pregnant tummy and he looks up at me. The room is dark, aside from the moon streaming in and his blue eyes glowing. "Promise me you won't volunteer if Haymitch is reaped. Only one of us can come home and I need you to be here if it's me. I won't make it without you." I whisper to him. His mouth opens and closes before he finally responds.

"I can't promise that." He says softly and I shake my head at his answer.

"Peeta, you have to promise me this. Just this one thing and I promise I'll let you win the next two arguments." I tell him, hoping to sway his decision. I can't see his head nodding but I feel the movement and my smile begins to return.

"I promise." He whispers back.

I fall asleep, knowing that tomorrow my family will become a career family, someone ready to defy the Capitol. Even though Peeta promised he wouldn't volunteer, I can't help but think he answered a little too quickly, as if he intends to break the promise. Would he do that, would he risk his life just to get me home? Yes, he would. And only now do I realize it isn't just me he'd be protecting, but his child too.

A.N. What's up!!! So she is obviously still 3 months pregnant bc this takes place the day after they find out about the quell. Is Peeta going to break the promise or keep it? Who knows?.?.? Alright comment and star as always and I hope you liked it!

Quote from the next chapter comes from....our Katniss!
"I thought that maybe you needed to be reminded. Reminded of when you fell in love with me."