Pearls

A.N. I'm just going to say I'm sorry for the awful chapter. I was in major writers block and was struggling for words. And this chapter is extremely similar to the actual books. I hope it isn't too bad. Sorry you guys.

The day is filled with a flurry of activity as Peeta and I are prepped for our interviews with Caesar Flickerman. Just as Cinna promised, he talked to my prep team about controlling their emotions. And while I don't have to put up with their usual gossip, their silence is almost as bad.

Octavia has to step out of the room every few seconds, Flavius eventually puts down his scissors and leaves the room when his tears get the best of him, and it's up to Venia to finish prepping me. She sets her jaw determinedly and makes me over, her fingers flying due to the lack of help.

When she declares that I'm done, she takes my hands in both of hers, and says, "We would all like you to know what a privilege it has been to make you look your best." She wipes away one more tear from her face and fixes a stray hair in my head.

Before she runs for the door, leaving the room ever so silent.

My prep team despite the childish attitude and Capitol point of view, have wormed their way into my life. The way they take care of me and try their hardest to make me beautiful, truly is sweet. Blame it on my crazy hormones, but I feel a tear slide down my cheek at the thought of not seeing them again. But I suppose I won't see any of these people again. Not Cinna or Haymitch. Even Peeta.

I must die if I intend for Peeta to live.

When Cinna walks in carrying a garment bag over his shoulder, he sends a small smile my way.

"What have you got for me today?" I ask him.

He sighs and sets the bag down.
"You should probably know that I tried to refuse, but President Snow insisted you wear this." My stomach ties in knots at his statement and I nod my head.

The sound of a zipper opening fils the room and I wait patiently with a knotted stomach, to see the outfit. White silk with pearls and lace comes into my view and I automaticity recognize the dress.

"My wedding dress? Why would he want me to wear that?" I ask him silently and his eyes answer my question.

To show that Snow is still in charge.

"Even though they announced the Quarter Quell the night of the photo shoot, people still voted for their favorite dress, and this was the winner."

Cinna helps me into the dress, and I sag under the weight of it for a moment. "I don't remember it being this heavy," I say.

"I had to make some adjustments for lighting," Cinna replies, and I don't have time to question him further before he has me walking in 5 inch heals.

"You're ravishing," he says with a small smile. "Katniss, because the bodice is so fitted, I don't want you raising your arms above your head. Not until you twirl, anyway."

"I'm twirling, again?" I ask.

He nods his head. "I'm sure Caesar will ask you. And if he doesn't, then suggest it yourself. Only not right away. Save it for your big finale," he tells me. I get the feeling that my twirling has a much greater significance that merely twirling and turning into fire.

"Alright," I agree.

"Any plans for the interview this year?" Cinna asks as we begin to make our way to the elevators to meet the rest of our District 12 entourage.