Chapter 33- Why Me?

Chapter 33- Why Me?

I was nervous. 

No, scratch that, I was shaking.

Ever since that phone call with Olivia I have been on edge. For the first time in a long time I was actually scared of what my mother would do when I got home. What if she knew? 

That is something I couldn’t even bear to think about right now. This time I knew I she wouldn’t forgive Brody. She made it perfectly clear there were no second chances. This was my own fault. 

So far the ride had been rather uneventful and mostly silent. I was too absorbed in thought to offer any conversation. I still hadn't gotten up the nerve to tell Brody all the details yet but I think he knew that something was up. I guess Isomehow felt that if I didn’t tell him then it wasn’t true. It’s crazy I know, but right now I wasn’t exactly thinking strait.

My shaking was getting worse, but I knew part of it was that I had skipped breakfast this morning. This always happen if I don’t eat after I wake up. I was too concerned with getting home to worry about it though. I guess now I’m paying the price for it.  

Currently we were about 15 minutes from Olivia's house. I think she was as scared as I was. And who wouldn't be? It was my mother we were talking about here. To say she wasn’t a bit scary at time would be a bold face lie. I’d soon rather face rabid dogs then see her when she was angry.

"Does this have anything to do with this weekend?" Brody asks filling the quiet car with his voice.

His gaze momentarily breaks from the road ahead and falls to me.

“It has to do with Heather.” I vaguely reply.

He doesn’t seem to completely buy it and looks back at the road before replying.

“Did she know about us?”

He seems a bit surprised that I would tell my sister about out weekend but doesn’t say anything more about it.

I quickly shake my head to assure him that she didn’t before proceeding to tell him the truth.  “It’s not that, she ran off.”

“Ran off…. as in away?”He questions as shocked as I was.

“Sort of.” I nod.

This was awkward to say the least.  I never dreamed that would be having this conversation with my boyfriend about my sister eloping.  Now I feel like the responsible one out of the two of us and I just lost my virginity this weekend.

Something is wrong with this picture.

“By herself?” He asks slowly.

“With Callum.” I sigh.

The disappointment over this was making me to transparent. It was obvious I didn’t approve, but right now that didn’t matter. The most important thing was finding Heather and getting to the bottom of this. She must have had a good reason to do this after she had already planned the wedding for next month.

He briefly seems surprised before piecing everything together.  The shock, however, does not disappear.  That is something we had in common.  I don’t know that would ever overcome this shock.

“So this was the rush to get home?”

I nod in conformation.

“Geez Farrah, all this time and you’re just now telling me?” He says. “I thought your parents were upset about you going away with me.”

I couldn’t blame him for his anger. I should have explained earlier.

I felt guilty about not explaining things to him, but I was still trying to process this myself.  I still don’t know how this happened.  I never expected my sister to pull something like this.  Mom and dad must be furious.  She knows that they don’t approve of elopement.