Chapter 13: Discovering Her

“I’m home.” I call out to grandma and grandpa to let them know I’m home. I heard grandma replied from the kitchen. I took off my shoes then put it on the shoe rack then I headed to where my grandparents are.

I saw grandma preparing some meal, while grandpa is reading his daily newspaper. Their usual routine. Grandma turned around at my direction to see me. She smiled then spoke up.

“How’s your sleepover at the Suzuki’s, Haruna?”

Before I reply to her question, I put down my bag on the floor then got a seat across from grandpa’s.

“Its fine, I guess.” I started. “They are kind actually; they welcomed me in their house so . . . yeah its fine.”

“Are you sure it’s just “fine”?” grandpa interjected still reading his newspaper. My brows met each other when I heard grandpa’s question.

“What do you mean, grandpa?” I asked back. Grandma giggles towards our conversation we’re having. Then it’s my cue to look at grandma but she’s now continuing preparing the meal.

“Grandma . . .” I reprimanded. That made the two elderly, laugh at their places.
Really now, they are laughing while I am here clueless of what they are laughing at. I guess this is the side effect of getting old? Well, it’s better than being serious about everything.
The laugh subsided, and then grandma started to speak.

“It’s either you are trying to be innocent or you are not really aware of yourself now, Haruna.” Grandma faced me with her warm smile. Oh ok, I think it’s getting serious around here now.
“You still remember that your grandpa and I are the ones who raised you, right?” she asked. “Uh . . . yes, grandma. But where are we going with this conversation?” I asked now getting confused on what grandma is talking about.

“What we are trying to say is that, you are now being open with other people.” Now that grandma pointed it out, I just realized it is indeed true.
“The time you entered middle school, we never see you with a friend and neither sees you go on a sleepover once. Every weekend, you’re just in your room.”
“But now, we are just happy that you’re now making friends in your high school, Haruna.” Grandpa added. He put down his newspaper then looks at me.

“You are not going to be young forever, Haruna. Look at us.” He pointed out, I giggled at his example and that made grandpa laugh at his statement as well. “So do what you have to do to be happy in your teenage years. Make friends, but choose those who are true to you.” he said ending it with messing up my hair. He used to do that to me when I was still a child.

"Grandpa!" I shouted playfully and try to stop grandpa. Grandpa only laughed at my reaction.

****

Rina's P.O.V (same time as Haruna got to her grandparents' house)

I'm already back in our house after walking Haruna out.

When I walk in our house, Dad is in the living room reading the daily newspaper. Dad said earlier that we'll open the convenience store this afternoon.And I think Mom is upstairs taking care of my baby brother.

I am now on my way to my room. I opened the door, put off my jacket, then launch myself into my bed face first. After jumping on my bed, Dai-chan bounced because of the aftershock I have done to the bed. I grabbed Dai-chan and laid on my back.

I put Dai-chan over me like Dai-chan is hovering above me. Suddenly I remembered Haruna and what happened last night during dinner. I found out big things about her. Well, big things but not the specific details. Still, it's about her and her personal life. I really don't know how to react when Haruna told us about her Dad.

Haruna didn't discussed about the topic for long. I think Mom amd Dad felt that she is uncomfortable with the topic, so they didn't push it further.

Growing up without a Father seems unimaginable for me plus she's an only child making it more difficult for Haruna. I can't imagine myself in that situation. That really makes me look up to her.

I think that's another reason on why she's so distant on our first day of school. But I am so grateful that she's being comfortable with us little by little. Just by thinking that Haruna is warming up to us makes me smile. I hugged Dai-chan in the process of thinking.

I looked at Dai-chan again, I really didn't expect Haruna remember this little thing I like about. I smiled when I remembered her face when I'm opening her gift for me. She's really anxious on what will my reaction will be. This gift may be simple but the thing that she still remember what are the things I like about, counts.

I turn to my right where my side table is and where the space Haruna slept in last night. I saw the futon which Haruna used last night, neatly folded. I smiled at the memories happened last night.

——————

Hello there guys, I know it's super short. I just thought to update just a short chapter I'm really stressed coz of schoolworks so I decided to take a break by making this chapter. I hope it's nice if not a good one.

And oh, thank you EYE165 for the suggestion. Making Rina's POV without giving off all what she really feels when she's with Haruna is difficult I may say. I really intend it to be that way for mysterious effect :v LOL

I guess that's all, so have a good one guys! :)

~OchiDochi