Prologue. Problems in North Dakota (pic: Gunnar)

A/N: So this is my first story. I have an idea of where it's going to go and I'm pretty excited about it. This Prologue gets the story started (as all prologues do) and introduces the leaders of the Hemmingway pack.

Prologue

 Gunnar's POV

"How close has it gotten?" The Alpha growled, running a hand down his face. He looked stressed. You can tell he's been up all night. His shaggy blond hair is unwashed and there are bags under his blue eyes.

"Within thirty miles of the perimeter, Alpha." I answer. I'm sorry to bring such bad news. My brother Magnus, the Alpha, has been stressing over this since he took over. 

Our father, Elder Karll, speaks up now. "We cannot stay here Magnus. The Bakken oil field is the size of West Virginia. They are planning over the next two decades to drill and hydraulically fracture every square mile of it. It's not safe here for us anymore."

"But where would we go?" asks the Gamma. A look of confusion crosses Jons slightly rounded face. "The other side of N. Dakota is occupied. We can't encroach on another's territory. They'd never stand for another pack, let alone another Alpha."

Silence descends as we all contemplate our grim looking future. I shift my weight uncomfortably. As Beta of the Hemmingway Pack, these people are my responsibility too. Maybe more so than the Alpha's. I'm in charge of Pack relations. A sparks lights up in our fathers eye, but the Alpha misses the look. He turns to me.

"What do you think Gunnar?"

The only thing I can think of is challenging another pack or heading for rogue territory. Both would be unwise. Despite popular belief, werewolves do not like waring with each other. Rogues and humans are our only threat. Before I can put these suggestions out there anyways, Elder Karll speaks up.

"Let me make a phone call. I might have a solution."

888

Elder Karll's POV

After everyone had gone their separate ways, I seat myself at the Alpha's desk and pick up the phone. I know this number by heart. He has been a good friend of mine for many years. Unfortunately we haven't seen each other since the boys were pups. 

Still, we used to call each other twice a year to share news on our lives and families. That has gotten less frequent and I know why. I understand of course... I probably wouldn't want to hear about it either. But now, with our current problem, we can help each other out. 

I dial his private number. "David? Hello, it's Karll..."