Chapter 1. Christmas shopping (pic: Max)

[A/N: This is dedicated to 1Nikaeleen, who helped me out before I started writing this. From looking at your profile I don't think this is your kind of story and if you don't read it, that's cool. The first part should be familiar to you. Thank you.]

Chapter 1 -Christmas shopping

Max POV.

"Max, how's your Christmas shopping going?" My mom asked. Her long wavy hair is clipped back in a jewelled barrette. She's sitting at the kitchen island, pen in hand, writing out her yearly Christmas cards while at the same time writing two shopping lists, one for last minute gifts, the other for groceries.

I cringed. Crap. I hate shopping.

"Umm, it's not..." I mumbled, trying to sound as non-threatening as possible. I shuffled over the the cupboard, giving her a big, toothy grin.

"Maxwell Grey!" She exclaimed. "What am I going to do with you." Mom gave me 'the eye' and started on another list. I shrugged, gave her an innocent smile and started debating on a bowl of cereal or toaster waffles.

"Here" She interrupted my silent debate by shoving the new list under my nose, making me jump. Freaking ninja, I didn't even hear her get up. Catching it, I check it out.

Mom, Corin, my best friends Lenny and Aggie and surprisingly my aunt Nicole and uncle Greg with my cousins Leo, Virgo and Cassi. Psh, that's only one, two, threefourfive... Nine people. No big deal. I can do that in, umm... Crap, what do they all like?

I glanced at her as she took her seat again and rolled my eyes. "Geez, did we miss anyone? How about their dog?"

"I already got him a stocking at PetSmart." She said dismissively.

Totally missed my sarcasm there.

"You better get boy, the malls are already busy enough now that it's December." She said as she shuffled some envelopes around, the light catching on the wedding band she still wears. I nod my head and the Poptarts catch my eye. Perfect. As I'm getting a plate ready for my toasty warm tarts my sister Corin walked into the kitchen.

"Morning minions! Today I will have an eggs benedict on toast with a tall glass of orange juice. Chop, chop!" She claps her hands twice and seated herself at the kitchen island, grinning at us like she actually believed we're going to jump into action. We both snort.

"You're fifteen years old, you can fend for yourself." Ma muttered. She eyed the Christmas cards somewhat frantically, muttering about mailing deadlines. Corin huffed indignantly and stalked to the fridge. I'm opening the foil wrapping on my tarts when I see the look in Corins eye.

I clutched them to my chest. "NO" I sais sternly. She glared at me through green eyes identical to moms.

"I wouldn't want them anyway's." She turned back to the fridge and pulled out some eggs. Turning towards the stove, she muttered, "With your boy germs all over them."

"You weren't complaining about boy germs when Corey asked you out last week." I shot back.

She cracked open an egg as I pulled out the toaster and popped in my tarts. "Have you seen Corey!?" She questioned like I'm nuts, "He's a god. And he adores me, seriously."

I wrinkled my nose. "Umm, I don't look at guys that way, Cor. Besides, isn't that too matchy matchy? Corin and Corey?"

She smiled dreamily, "Doesn't it sound great! It'd look good on the wedding invitations too."