Chapter 12. Explanations

[A/N: This is for my first follower ever MakenzieDemuth. Even tho she started following me before I started this book and I have no idea if she's reading this. Thank you muchly!]

Max POV

My whole body ached. I came to slowly, trying to think of something other than the pain. I felt as if I had made an enemy of a sadistic, vindictive, stomping elephant. I felt like Loki after the Hulk was finished with him. Cautiously, I stretched my arms above my head and opened my eyes, wincing at the bright light. 

"You're extremely lucky, you know." said an unfamiliar voice. I froze for a second, then relaxed when I noticed the paramedic.

"What happened?" I pulled the oxygen mask off my face and glanced around, noticing I was in the back of an ambulance. 

"You were in an avalanche. Your friend saved you."

Then it all came back to me. The snowboarding date, the avalanche, the fear, the wolf and Gunnar. Everything was crystal clear. The wolf was Gunnar.

I shot upright. "HOLY SHIT!"

The paramedic raised his eyebrows and then smiled at my shocked expression. "I would tell you not to move, but your amazingly fit for being in an avalanche. Not even any fractures. I'd expect at least one broken bone. You're covered in bruises but otherwise okay, not even a scratch." he looks baffled. I quickly check my fingers, expecting to see scabs from trying to claw my way out of the snow but encounter smooth skin. "Put the mask back on. It'll help with the pain. I'll get your friend." He got up and left, leaving me with my thoughts.

Gunnar was a... Monster? Werewolf? I don't even know what to call him. Is there a politically correct term? I snort at my thoughts. Who cares if there's a correct term, he's coming here! Do I want to see him?

After a moment I decide that I do. If anything, I want answers. 

The door opens and Gunnar enters the small space. Our eyes meet and we both freeze. I can see it in his eyes. He knows that I know. The paramedic enters behind him.

"You can take him home if that's what you guys want. I would recommend going to the hospital. They can prescribe pain medication if you think that's necessary."

We just continue our staring match. Gunnar is starting to look scared and desperate and my heart clenches. I reach out my hand to him. Relief filled his eyes and clasped my hand tightly.

"We're fine." He searches my eyes inquiringly and I nod. I'm not actually sure if were fine, but I stand cautiously, wincing. Gunnar scoops me up and I tense in his arms. He doesn't show any sign of noticing my reaction except for the tense set of his mouth. 

He carries me all the way to his car, opening the door and sets me in my seat cautiously, as if I were made of glass. After buckling me in he shuts the door and I have a brief moment of panic. My instincts were waring with each other. Part of me thought he was going to eat me alive, but a bigger part of me was already missing his touch. What am I, a masochist?