Chapter 16. Valentine's Day

[A/N: The video on the side is called Bubble by Sebastian Castro. 

P.S. I didn't intend for it to happen, but as I wrote, they insisted that they were a newly mated couple. And that's how it happened. And you know the drill. Starts at '888']

Max POV

I came awake slowly, snuggling into the warmth. Eventually I noticed the yummy scent all around me. I inhaled deeply, my mouth watering. It was fresh cut grass and spicy cloves and all over deliciousness. Opening my eyes, I realized it was Gunnar I was smelling. He was sleeping peacefully, his lips slightly parted. I stuck my nose into his shoulder and inhaled, smiling. 

His scent was exactly right. Perfect. It was like a beacon, calling me home.

Eventually other scents started to make an impression on my nose. I could smell the nearby woods, the cast iron balconies, clothes, furniture, the bedding. I turned on my back and inhaled, absorbing the scents.

Then I noticed the canopy above me. I didn't know what kind of fabric it was, but I could see the weave, the fibers in every strand. The bed posts were clearly a stained wood. I could see every grain of the posts. Smell the stain.

Someone coughed and I jumped. The sound had been so clear, but Gunnar hadn't moved. Was someone else in here? I quickly sat up, and winced as a result. My backside was still tender, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I ignored the pain and quickly scanned the room. The only heart beats I could hear were my own and Gunnar's. Then where had-?

"Down the hall." I heard Gunnar say. I could tell from the breathy tone that he had whispered, but I heard it as if he had spoken normally. I turned to him, confused.

"What-" I winced at my voice. Too loud. "What's happening?" I whispered.

He chuckled, then whispered, "You're my mate now. Remember? Enhanced abilities?"

I bit my lip nervously before whispering back, "What exactly does that mean? And am I going to have to whisper for the rest of my life?"

He laughed and quickly buried his face in the pillow when I winced, his shoulders shaking. When he calmed down he said, "No, you'll get used to it. And it affects your sight, hearing, sense of smell, speed and strength and even your healing abilities."

My mouth fell open when he finished. "How do you deal with it?" I said, still whispering.

"Like I said, you'll get used to it. Most human mates say they get over it pretty quickly."

I thought about this and realized that I could hear our heartbeats. I had heard them earlier, but it had seemed so right I hadn't questioned it. The next thing I noticed was that it was dark, and I could see clearly. I looked around the room, noticing things I hadn't noticed before. 

I could see the bumps and dips and every imperfection of the gypsum board walls. I looked out the double doors and noticed the evergreen tree. It's greenery was made of overlapping sections that reminded me of alien bug heads.