Chapter 22. A Lot to Absorb

[A/N: Gunnar in the side pic. Again, thanks to YumNakedLarry for the enthusiasm. :D

Dedicated to my little sister Delevigxne! She joined wattpad yay! Unlike me, she was the kind to be writing as a child.]

Max's POV

I drove while Leo put his shoes on in the passenger seat. When finished, he held his jacket in his lap and sighed into the silence. I continued driving for another 15 minutes before pulling up at a small diner and getting out. He followed me and we found seats, awkwardly reading the menu. We hadn't said anything since we left the house.

Finally I put down the menu and glanced around the diner, inhaling to catch the scents. Leo watched me curiously out of the corner of his eye and I knew he as wondering about my enhanced senses.

"How come I don't have super powers or anything like that?" He put down his menu and looked at me enquiringly just as the waiter came over. I inhaled again but didn't find any wolfy scents or my aunts scent. We ordered and the waiter took off to the kitchen to get our drinks. I tried to remember what Marte had told me.

"You haven't changed yet. Before a werewolf changes, you would never know what they are. Not even other wolves would know unless they, you know, already knew..." I trailed off stupidly.

"Oh."

We were silent until the waiter brought back our drinks and I remembered when Gunnar ordered for me on Valentines. It seemed like a good place to start.

"So, first off, all wolves are dominant and submissive except the Alpha. He's Just Alphic. Did Magnus tell you about that?"

He nodded slowly. "Somewhat. I think I know what that means." I nodded.

"Males are born dominant and females are born submissive, but occasionally it happens the other way around. You will be one of those rare male subs as far as we can tell. Which means you will most likely have a dominant male mate." I frowned, "Is this making any sense?" I bit my lip and wondered if I was any good at this. It sounded like gibberish to me.

He stared at me in horror. "You mean I'm gay!" He yelled. The diner went silent and we sank in our seats until the chatter picked up again.

He slowly sat up in his seat, looking absolutely miserable. "Not only is the gay thing, um, shocking, but so is the fact that male subs aren't common. Am I a freak? What if they don't like me? And by mate do you mean I have no choice? I have to be with a guy?"

I sighed and pouted when I realised that I was really bad at this.

"You're not a freak. I know two male subs, one has a female dom mate and one has a male dom mate. They're both incredibly happy from what I could tell." I paused, wondering if I should ask, but it was now weighing on my mind. "Would it be so bad to be gay?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I've never considered it. I didn't have any problem with you and Gunnar, I just..." He twisted his hands and glanced around the diner, "I just never thought about it. Now that I think about it, I never really noticed girls either." He lowered his head. "I wonder if I'm asexual." 

I nibbled my lip and kinda wished he hadn't went there.

"Um, the mark acts as an erogenous zone. Like a hot spot." He looked puzzled at my statement and I felt like face palming. Of course, he didn't know what a mark was.

"A mark is a bite your mate gives you to warn others that your taken." Then a thought occurred to me. My face burned. "You know asexual means no sex drive. Have you never, uh, touched yourself?" He blushed and shook his head and we both looked away from each other determinedly.