Chapter 17. Rogue Thieves in the Dark

[A/N: The video on the side is a new one. Same Love by Macklemore. Love that man. 'Damn right I support it. - Macklemore'.

Dedicated to LeviathansDaughter because your enthusiasm was infectious! :D]

Gunnar's POV

The farther I drove away from my Max, the more my wolf tried to take over. It felt unnatural to leave him somewhere not my own. There was a panicked feeling in my gut, not intensely so, but there. My wolf was slowly starting to claw it's way up and make me snap, force me to force Max back to my place, telling me I shouldn't have given him the option to go home.

Luckily my thoughts were interrupted by the buzz of my phone. I glanced at the caller ID and saw Magnus name on the screen. I unlocked the phone and answered.

"Hello?"

"Gunnar? A sub is missing. Her names Rosa and her mate says he hasn't seen her since the luncheon." My heart sank as he continued. "He wasn't worried at first because he had sent her back to the house to put their son to sleep. When he got there, their son was sleeping in the crib, but she was nowhere to be found. There are signs of a struggle. The scent is unfamiliar."

I cursed a string of words so foul, I could hear Magnus clear his throat uncomfortably. 

"Has anyone been able to track her?"

"I've got one stealth squad tracking them now, but I need you to deal with the mate. His wolf has taken over, and we can't afford for him to just go haring off into the woods."

"I'll be right there."

I pulled up to the gates ten minutes later, cutting the trip in half.

I followed Magnus scent until I came to a containing room. A grey wolf was pacing behind the reinforced bars of his cell. He snapped his jaws at me and snarled. I didn't have to be in wolf form to know he was demanding to be let out. I glanced a Magnus worriedly.

"Ya, you're going to need to force his wolf to submit, Magnus. His wolf would only listen to his Alpha in that state."

Magnus shot me a scowl. "I know that. But I needed you here before I did that. You have to look after Mike while I go join the search parties with Elin and two more squads."

I nodded at him and approached the bars with Magnus and a few enforcers. Magnus stripped and changed into his Demi-form before the door was opened.

Mike immediately lunged. In a flash, Magnus had him by the throat and slammed him to the ground. He fought viciously, raking his claws down his Alpha's arms and chest. Magnus barely flinched before roaring at him so loud the bars vibrated and dust fell from the beams.

Mike literally yelped, his wolf terrified of his Alpha's wrath, and tilted his head back submissively. He whined low in his throat. Magnus gave one last warning growl before letting go and releasing him.