Chapter 10. Little Brother

[A/N: I don't know if you remember Aden. But this chapter is pretty much to show you how he's doing. I promise the next chapter is going to be interesting.]

Gunnar's POV

My paws barely touch the dirt as I enjoy my run. It's been so long since I've gone wolf, that I've almost forgot what it feels like. My gait is so smooth and swift that the surrounding forest seems to be moving with me. I'm running fast enough that it should be a blur, but my vision is so enhanced that any obstacle seems nonexistent. Laughable. Relishing in the way my muscles bunch and contract with ease, I jump over a stream and my paws whisper above the ground on the other side before I'm gone, the stream far behind.

My ears prick as I hear an approaching wolf. Recognizing the scent, I slow down to let Erik approach me, matching our paces. I've only met Erik once since coming here. 

Can I help you?

He just grunts, and I get the impression that he doesn't really like me. Aden would like to speak to you.

I actually stumble. You know Aden?

He growls, He's my mate.

I instantly feel shame. I should know this stuff. The packs mental well being is mine, and I should be keeping up to date. It'll be so much easier to focus once Max is marked and mated.

Have you and Aden ever been lovers? Erik snarls. On the surface he sounds angry but there is a hint of pain underneath his anger.

I turn us in a slow curve and head back to the pack house. No, why do you ask?

He huffs angrily. He's scared around me. My wolf is going to snap if I don't mark him soon. He keeps asking for you. At first I refused, I can take care of my own mate! His ears fall. He wants to talk to you.

I can't help but feel sorry for him. A dominant is supposed to be their mates biggest form of comfort. It's a real low blow to Erik that Aden keeps asking for me. 

We make it to the pack house and change. I try to reassure him. "Aden's like a little brother to me. He's always been bullied by the pack and I've always tried to be there to help. Just... remain steady. He'll learn."

Leaving Erik downstairs, I make my way up to the subs wing and knock on Aden's door. "Aden, it's me."

The door flings open, surprising me before I'm dragged in. Aden looks near tears. "Aden what's wrong?" I want to take him in my arms but his mate would smell that. He already has his suspicions about us.

A sob wracks Aden's small frame. "I need your help Gunnar. Erik can't last much longer without his wolf taking over and forcing the mating. I-I'm not ready," he stops and draws in a shuddering breath, "I'm not ready to go all the way but if I let him mark me I don't think he will be able to stop himself."