Chapter 11. Gone Wolf

[A/N: Dedicated to conleyswifey because you are pro and I wish for half of your talent.]

Max POV

I'm sitting upstairs in my room like the coward I am because I don't want my mom or sister to tease me. My knee can't stop jerking nervously and I've combed my hair three times and brushed my teeth twice. Gunnar will be here to pick me up in twenty minutes. Twenty minutes too long. 

At least, you know, they like him. My mom seemed skeptical but warmed up to him. My aunt, the weirdo, kept asking me questions about him and talking about his unique aura. After a while I had turned to Leo and begged him with my eyes to help me out. He distracted her by mentioning a girl he liked at school. Her face was hilarious. It was almost like she could never believe that he could like someone.

Someone knocked at the door and I bolted downstairs but I'm not quick enough. Corin was already at the door, flirting. My gut clenched and I resisted the urge to push her into the wall. Gunnar caught my eye and my jealousy vanished when I saw his eyes darken. He swept his gaze down me, completely ignoring Corin, and I shivered. He spoke over Corin's incessant chattering, startling her. 

"Are you ready to go?" 

I nodded my head and dragged him out the door, shouting a quick goodbye over my shoulder and slammed the door in Corin's face. 

"So, hey." I wave in his direction, which makes the situation ten times more awkward as I'm walking right beside him. My face heats and he chuckles.

"Hey Max." 

I keep my head down all the way to the car. He opens the door for me and I'm startled when he leans in, buckling my seat belt. "What-?" He pecks me on the lips before shutting my door and making his way around the car. Soon were on the highway heading south. 

"What was that?"

"What was what?" he asks innocently.

"Buckling my seat belt for me." 

He grins. "I like to look after you."

My stomach flops over. I bite my lip and look out the window, hiding my blush. What does that even mean? This is only our second date and he likes to look after me? I'm a guy, I shouldn't like it so much, but I do. My heart rolls in my chest and I fall in love a little bit deeper. 

"So were are we going?" I venture.

He grins, "Snowboarding."

"WHAT! I don't have the proper clothes for that!" I look down at my jacket, plaid shirt, jeans and Converse and panicked a little. I don't even know how! "I've never snowboarded before!" I cried.

"Don't worry, I'll get you everything you need at the resort." I want to argue that it's way too expensive but I know he'll just get pushy about it. Plus, he said he likes to look after me. And though I will never admit it, I like to be looked after. At least by him. He makes me feel safe and loved. I even loved his dominating, jealous side that came through when he put my skates on for me. I crossed my arms and pretended to pout the rest of the way.