Chapter 25. Changed

[A/N: I hate this chapter. I restarted it three times! Someday I will come back to it and possibly rewrite it. Until then, here it is. Sorry for the nine day wait.

See the puppy on the side?  ―>]

Chapter 25

Gunnar's POV

It was dark by the time we started up the mountain. All I could feel was blood lust and my wolf just wanted to go haring off into the woods, wanted to hunt the bastard that took our mate. 

We parked at the Village and walked casually through the resort town, setting a pace way to slow for my liking, our noses subtly lifted into the air. Tourists and townies were bundled up against the light snow falling on our heads and coating the ground. The place was buzzing with excitement, everyone talking of the last snowstorm of the season. 

I glanced at the sky and groaned when I heard someone say that it was expected tonight.

The snow made it harder, but we caught no strange scents there and wondered further, keeping an eye out for interlopers. Once we reached the outskirts of town, Magnus told the one stealth squad we had brought to shift and spread out. We shifted to full wolf and put our noses to the ground. My wolf fought for control, but I knew he had no real idea where Max was. 

We could just hope-

I caught a whiff of pine stronger than the rest for a brief moment. I stopped and walked in tight circles, trying to find the scent again. 

I whined low in my throat when I realised it came from a pine tree, a fresh chip in the bark.

I started on my way again, searching for his scent when I froze. Magnus eyed my absolute stillness with a puzzled eye. I ran back to the tree and Magnus followed closely behind.

'Did you find something?'

'This wound is fresh.' Magnus took a sniff and nodded. 

'Okay, but that doesn't mean-'

A low howl came from our right and we ran towards it. A pack mate was there sniffing at the snow. He looked up at us.

'A wolf touched this tree and the snow is pressed in. The fresh snowfall has started to cover it, but you can still see it.' He looked to his right and we could all see a faint imprint, as if something had passed this way fairly recently.Magnus nodded and called in the rest of the squad. While we waited, we searched the area and found faint traces of two unfamiliar wolves and Max. I yipped eagerly and started down the trail when Magnus growled.

'Don't go rushing off into danger without us. Max won't thank you for getting yourself killed.'

I stopped and growled lowly, not liking being kept from my mate but knowing he was right. Magnus led the way once everyone caught up to us.