Chapter 7. Glow

[A/N: Dedicated to minorwaltz. Because you liked it. You really liked it!]

Max POV

At school the next day I could not keep the smile off my face. I kept the blue stone with me all day and played with it in my classes, running my thumb over the rough red sides and the smooth, glass-like blue sides. I counted each ripple in the crystal and tried to correctly identify the colors. Sky blue? Ash blue? Milky white and frosty grey. There was even some cobalt. I can't believe I thought it was just a rock before.

I can tell I'm grinning stupidly, because Lenny is slowly inching away from me in his seat, watching me out of the corner of his eye. Still staring at the stone, I chuckle. His eyes widen.

"Dude, stop it. You're freaking me out!"

I laugh again. Then I try to get the smile off my face, but it doesn't work. It won't go away. 

"Sorry man, I can't help it." I purse my lips and try to look serious again. It feels so ridiculous with my mood that I burst out laughing, causing most of the class to turn and look at me. "Sorry, sorry!" I gasp. The teacher raises one eyebrow and turns back to marking just as the lunch bell rings. I put the stone in my pocket and head to lunch, Lenny trailing along beside me uncertainly.

Aggie meets us at our table in the cafeteria, slamming her tray on the table. "I just came from the most grueling PE class. She made us do lines. Like, seriously, LINES! I can't do lines! I mean I'm no slob, but I'm no athlete either. Does she really..." Her voice trails off as she notices my permanent grin and Lenny's worried face.

"What's happening here?" She furrows her eyebrows. "The tension at this table is... palpable. Did you guys... fight?" 

"What's palpable mean?" I smile at her. Now she's starting to look worried. 

"Umm, an intense atmosphere." She takes a long look at my expression, then abruptly her face clears. "Oh my gosh, what happened? It's Gunnar isn't it. Is it? Tell me it is!"

I nod and she squeals. Lenny's face clears. "Thank God!' He slumps in relief, "You were really starting to freak me out." Now grinning himself, he punches my arm. "Maybe now you'll finally get laid!"

The smile slips off my face for the first time since I woke up. "Hey!"

He just chuckles. "So are you finally admitting your gay?"

I try and suppress a blush. "I-I guess I am. I really like Gunnar." Aggie must hear something in my voice, because her eyes narrow.

She grabs my arm and hauls me up. "Come on Max, we're gonna talk about boys. Lenny stay!" He doesn't object.

She drags me into the deserted courtyard (It's January, it's freaking freezing) and rounds on me causing me to step back and my eyes to widen.

"Did you kiss!" I blush and bite my lip, nodding. She squeals. "Tell me everything!"