Chapter 4. Game Plan (pic: Marte & Karll)

[A/N: Diedicated to ladyafyon because you're my first comment! Made my day.

Gunnar's father Karll in the external link.]

Gunnar's POV

I felt my heart sink as Max rushed off. I mean, I know he must be feeling the effects of the mating just like me, and I can tell that it makes him uncomfortable, but dammit! I miss him already. Those twenty minutes in the park were the first time I've seen him in over a month. 

Sighing, I head to my car, thinking about his lips. Damn, I want to kiss them so bad. When he bit his lip, my pants started to get uncomfortably tight. My wolf wanted out too. He wanted him marked and ours for the rest of our lives. Thank goodness for Cassi. She's a sweet girl and good enough a distraction from my thoughts.

Twenty minutes later I pull up at the pack house and head into the kitchen for a beer. There, my mom is baking her famous banana bread. I sneak up behind her.

"I know you’re there, Gunnar" She said in her sweet accented tones.

I groaned, "Every time momma! How do you do it?"

"I have eyes in the back of my head" she said dryly. Then she huffed and cast her eyes upwards, "I'm a wolf, boy, what do you think? I smelt you as soon as you pulled up the drive." The timer went off and she pulls on her oven gloves. Then she set the bread on the counter and I'm practically drooling.

My father walked into the kitchen. "Marte, is that your famous banana bread I smell?" He went over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

She smiled lovingly. "Yes. But let it cool first!" He chuckled and headed for the table.Taking a seat, he turned to me. 

"And where have you been?" His brown eyes twinkle.

Smiling, I answer smugly, "With Max. I met him at a park and got to meet his little cousin Cassi."

Momma turned towards me, smiling brightly. "Oh how did that go?" she asked excitedly. Momma and Pop watch me expectantly. My smile slipped.

"He definitely feels something, but it seems to scare him more than anything else," Thinking about his jumpy reactions around me, I mentally sigh. Momma watched my face carefully.

"Oh honey, don't worry so much about it." she said, "He won't be able to resist the mating bond for long."

My father nodded in agreement, "But the more exposure he has to you, the better. Do you have a plan?" He raised one eyebrow inquiringly. My mind drew a blank. Pop watched my expression, or lack thereof. "Well you must have talked! What do you know about him? What does he do in his spare time?" 

I think back, and then smile triumphantly.

"I think that coffee shop on Richards street is about to get another loyal customer"