Chapter Thirteen

UNEDITED: Please point out the mistakes if you can!

Aubrey was screaming all the way down, until she realised she wasn't falling at all.

One by one, Aubrey opened her eyes and she saw that she was perfectly still, standing casually.

In mid-air.

Michael was standing in front of her with an easy smile. The bridge that they had been standing on a few seconds back, was above them now and twinkling lights of the Faerie city were much closer now.

Because they were standing in mid air.

"I told you to trust me." Michael said smiling,"Pretty neat trick, huh? "

Pretty neat trick? Aubrey thought, he called pushing her off the damn bridge a PRETTY NEAT TRICK?

The bridge above them started shaking violently and-

Cupcake, throwing a temper tantrum that would bring an entire bridge down on a city is hardly fair is it? Declan's voice mused in her head.

Aubrey's rage almost immediately broke and the bridge stopped shaking.

That's more like it. He said.

Well it's not my fault that the asshole decided to throw me off a bridge. She thought angrily.

Then she stopped and stared at the bridge above, Did I do that?

Of course you did. Declan said in her head, When you faced Thorne did you think that there was a mini earthquake just for kicks?

Aubrey was speechless.

He's trying to test your powers, Declan said,He thought you could fly but you clearly can't you looked like a headless chicken all the way till the point Michael caught you.

Jeez thanks, she thought, I was too busy trying not to die.

Declan chuckled, You wouldn't have died. If you haven't realised it yet but it's the pawns who are the most important in this game.

His voice goes silent in her head and Aubrey turned her gaze to Michael who was watching her curiously.

"So you can't fly." Michael murmured,"Good."

"You threw me off a bridge." Aubrey fumed. The bridge didn't shake this time but Aubrey was still plenty mad.

Michael stepped forward and Aubrey flinched away.

"Original or whatever if you know what's good for you, you're going to put me back on solid ground." She threatened.

Michael looked hurt but Aubrey didn't care.

"It was a test Aubrey." He said,"You were not in danger."

Michael stepped closer and grabbed Aubrey's hand and held it up.

"Forgive me." He said and Aubrey's fury instantly melted.

"Okay." She said. Why had she been angry with him in the first place? It was just a silly test, wasn't it? She was never in any danger.

Aubrey didn't realise it until too late but they were rising slowly, above the bridge, into the clouds.

They broke through the cloud bank and the faint moon seemed much closer now, maybe if she just stretched far enough she could touch it.

She looked down and saw that there was nothing but carpets of clouds stretching on for miles and miles.

She felt exhilarated, free and terrified at the same time. But at the back of her mind there was this queasy feeling that something was terribly wrong about this.