Chapter Eighteen

Aubrey could have sworn she'd heard wrong.

"Did you just say yes?" She asked.

Declan rolled his eyes,"And I'm already regretting it."

Aubrey stared at him gape mouthed. She'd been prepared to argue for hours if she had to but she hadn't expected him to actually say yes.

Declan sighed impatiently,"If there is nothing then I will-"

"No!" Aubrey exclaimed,"You've said yes, you can't take it back."

Declan opened his mouth to say something but Aubrey quickly cut him off.

"Tell me about the last time you'd come here." Aubrey asked,"What did you see?"

Declan didn't say a word.

"Oh come on!" Aubrey whined,"You can't flake out on me now. You said you'd answer my questions."

"I never said I'd answer them." He said,"I simply asked what they were."

Of course Declan would never make it easy for her.

"Okay how about this?" Aubrey said,"You ask me something I'll answer then in turn you'd have to answer to."

Aubrey knew it was a wild gamble considering that probably knew more about her than she did but it was worth a shot.

"What makes you think I want to know anything about you?" He asked,"It's amusing that you think I'm actually interested cupcake."

Aubrey turned a deep shade of red.

Wait, why was she blushing?
Was she embarrassed?
Why should she be embarrassed she'd done nothing wrong.

Aubrey huffed,"Look. I need answers. I don't care if you're interested or not but I am. I need to know what's going on because everything is a mess. I've been thrown into something that I don't understand and you're the one who-"

"Sangrat."  Declan cut her off.

Aubrey raised an eyebrow,"Silence?"

"It's too make sure nobody else hears us." Declan stated,"If-"

He paused for a moment breaking off,"You recognise the language?"

Aubrey shrugged,"I recognise the meaning of the words vaguely."

And then Aubrey grinned,"Ha! You asked a question! Now you have to answer mine."

Declan simply let out a long breath,"I really don't want to."

"But a deal is a deal." Aubrey said,"So tell me about your first trip to Atlantis."

"I was ten years old the first time I ever travelled back in time." Declan sighed,"My mother had just died and it was right after her funeral. I was supposed to go home but.. instead I ran away to be alone."

Aubrey tried to keep her face neutral but she'd had to admit she was shocked. She hadn't expected him so straight forward about it.

"I didn't know about the Fae, or even my powers at that point." He said,"Strange things had happened but uptil then my mother.. she'd made sure to keep my powers hidden from the Fae as well as from me. "

"When she died, my powers started surfacing." He said, his voice devoid of emotion. He said it as if they were cold meaningless facts,"Erratically, spontaneously, my powers were out of hand. I ran away thinking that I could run way from whatever was happening to me instead I just made it worse."

"I travelled to Atlantis." He said,"I was ten I didn't know what was happening, I was suddenly in the middle of a large ballroom witnessing a murder."