Chapter Nineteen

UNEDITED

Declan viewed her quietly. If her statement had stunned him, he didn't show it.

"I saved you?" He asked.

"Yes." Aubrey replied.

There was a moment of silence.

"That's it?" She asked,"You're not going to ask me to elaborate?"

Declan regarded her,"What's in your past is my future. You telling me may mess everything up."

Aubrey looked at him confused,"How?"

"You never know." He stated firmly,"But if the stakes are so high it's best that you don't tell me anything no matter how curious I may be.If I fail to save you even one out of the four times because of something you tell me then-"

"Will you purposely leave me to die now that you know?" She asked.

For the first time Aubrey saw Declan look... offended.

"Really?" He asked her,"After saving your ass from our psycho History teacher and the pack of wolves you jump to this conclusion?"

"Well..."

"Jeez cupcake that genuinely hurt." He said.

"Wait!" Aubrey said frantically,"I didn't mean it like that!"

Declan looked amused,"I know."

"But have you ever considered the possibility that perhaps it's because I told you that you knew how to save me?"

"I'd save you whether or not you tell me to and as for knowing how to.... I'll find a way. The fact that you're standing here proves it."

"Why?" The question slips out of her mouth before she can stop it.

He looks at her thoughtfully,"I-I don't know."

Aubrey sighed looking down at her feet. This question and answer session was clearly over, even if her queries weren't.

"Let's go back inside." Declan suggested,"I suppose you're already aware that you can't breathe a word about my last-"

"I won't tell her." Aubrey confirmed,"Besides for all you know it might not even happen now that you've got her out of the palace."

"Maybe." Declan didn't sound very convinced though.

They made their way back inside where Raphael and Vaselia were laying down dinner.

Vaselia was the first to notice their arrival and she coldly looked at Aubrey,"Dinner is served."

"I hope it's not poisoned." Aubrey remarked as she sat down. There was a part of her that felt sorry for Vaselia but Aubrey just didn't have it in her to nice to the princess even if she did pity the fate Declan had seen.

"Don't worry the princess can't cook for shit." Raphael says taking the seat next to her,"I've made the food."

Aubrey picked up the spoon to try the soup and was surprised to find how delicious it tasted. It was a simple broth with fish and vegetables and yet it was one of the best things she'd ever tasted.

"This is really good." Aubrey exclaimed Raphael and he beamed.

"Thank you." He responded,"It's always been your favourite."

"I don't doubt it." Aubrey said finishing the last of it,"You have to teach me how to make it."

Raphael laughed,"I already have and in return you taught me how to make your sweet and sour fish."