Chapter 1: And I Know You Want To Get The Hell Out Of Here

**EDITED

My eyes opened, revealing a roof over my head. I half expected to see trees, the sun beaming on me, and my mother's cries in her sleep next to me. But then everything that happened yesterday came back to me. I got up from the bed, rubbing my eyes. I looked to my left to see my mother still in bed, sleeping safe and sound.

I couldn't help but notice she seemed so calm. The bags under her eyes were fading, while mine was getting worse. Although I was glad she was so relaxed, I was envious of her. I was envious that she was able to sleep without having two eyes open.

There was hushed voices just outside the door of the room we stayed in and I acted quickly.

I grabbed my knife from under the pillow (the soft pillow ironically didn't help my sleep at all). It was the only thing they didn't take from us.

I walked quietly to the door, knife in hand. I opened it just a bit to see the Governor talking to the archer, I put my ear to the door and listened closely.

"We saw smoke. Just a few miles out." The man with the bow said. "Don't know if it's still burning or not."

"We'll check it out in an hour." The Governor told him.

The conversation was quick. I turned my head to look through the crack and saw that the archer was gone, but the Governor was still standing there. He then looked in my direction and I moved away from the door before he could see me.

I tucked my knife in my jeans and hid it behind my shirt just as the door opened, the Governor on the other side.

He smiled when he saw me awake and looked behind me at my mother, then back at me. "Good morning. Or should I say afternoon. You two slept for quite a while."

"Ever heard of knocking?" I stared straight in his eyes.

He nodded, waving his arms in an I'm-sorry kind of way. "You're incredibly right. I apologize."

I said nothing, just continuing to look glare at him.

"Well, before I get out of your hair, you should eat. You're probably starving. The cafeteria should be closing soon." He said and when he realized I wasn't going to speak, he smiled again. "Well then, I should be going. Have a good day. Again, I'm so sorry about before."

He turned away and left and I slammed the door shut.

We need to get out of this place, I thought to myself as I made my way to the shower, looking over at my mother another time.

I stripped down and stepped in. The Governor said the water is limited but I didn't give a shit. (It's not like we're staying here long anyway.) I haven't showered in months.

I stood in the water for what felt like hours and I couldn't stop washing. Once I was done, I put my clothes back on and let my hair down so it could dry.

As I was gathering my stuff, I heard shuffling outside the bathroom. I picked up my knife and put my other hand on the doorknob. I counted to three in my head, and then I opened the door, pointing my knife right against their throat.

They gasped and then I realized it was my mother. I put the knife down and in my jeans.

"I'm sorry, Mom." I apologized, taking a towel and wiping the drop of blood on her neck. "Force of habit."

"It's alright, I'm okay." She said, gently putting my hands down when she saw I was concerned for nothing. I nodded, walking back into the room and pulling my bad from under the bed.

"What are you doing?"

I looked back to see my mother's confused expression as I packed some clothes. "We're leaving." I answered. "Today."