Chapter 14: Cell Block D

After taking a long shower, I went back to the cell blocks to see Rick holding Judith, feeding her. He smiled at me and I returned it.

"Mornin'." He greeted.

"Good morning, Rick." I said and walked over. "Is Carl awake yet?"

"No," he replied, looking over into Carl's cell. "I was gonna wake him up in an hour or so to help feed the pigs. I can wake him up now if you wa—"

"No, it's fine," I cut in. "I'll just go see Patrick. He's usually awake around this time."

I set off to go to the D block, where Patrick stayed, when Rick called me back.

"Hey," he said and I spun around. "Is there something going on with you and him . . . ?"

My heart started to race. "Wh—uh, um, no, nothing." I stuttered nervously. "Why? Did he say something about me?"

Rick smirked. "No, just wondering."

"Well, there's nothing." I said. "Really, nothing at all."

"Okay." Rick muttered suspiciously and I didn't know what to do.

I decided to leave and go to Patrick before I, or Rick, could say something else. When I finally got to cell block D, it was quiet. Everybody was still sleeping, of course. I went to Patrick's cell, but he was not inside.

Maybe he's still in the showers, I thought.

So I sat on the steps and waited for him. I waited for about 5 minutes and nothing.

He's usually awake by this time . . .

That's when I heard it. Munching and groaning. At first, I thought it was nothing, but when it went on for quite a while, I suspected something.

Curious, I stood up and looked behind each and everyone's curtains of every cell.

Once I got to Joey's cell, — he was a really nice man who helped take out the walkers at the fences outside — the groaning got louder.

My heart was beating so loud I was afraid whatever was inside would hear it. Slowly, I pulled the curtain, shocked at what I saw.

It was a walker.

It was eating Joey's guts and intestines. I turned away, disgusted. A cough was heard at the end of the cell block.

The walker's head snapped in my direction, and my mouth dropped.

Was that . . .

"Patrick?" I whispered, not believing my eyes.

Patrick — I mean the walker — snarled at me and dropped one of Joey's organs on the floor. He got up and staggered towards me.

I stumbled back, just then realizing, I didn't have my weapons with me.

Shit.

The walker that used to be Patrick, a friend, suddenly lunged and tackled me to ground, snapping his teeth at my neck. I held him back with all of my strength. But I wasn't that strong to hold him back until someone came to help.

The walker's teeth was only a few inches away from my face. I struggled underneath him, trying to get away. My face was hot with sweat.

"Hel—"

Boom!

Patrick's brains blew, and splattered in my face. He fell flat down next to me. I looked over and saw a man with a gun in his hand. But before I could thank him, Joey attacked him from behind, bitting his neck, the man screaming in agony. He dropped the gun.