Chapter 25: Not So Sure Anymore

t was dark before I knew it. We all settled up in the woods. I volunteered to make a fire in the middle while the others picked their spots to sleep the night. Someone crouched down in front of me. I looked up to see Tara.

Tara was among a few others that Carol and I found with the group after Terminus. There was Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, and Tara. Abraham was a big, muscular redhead who couldn't go five seconds without cursing. Rosita was a tall, skinny woman who seemed pretty badass from what I could tell. Eugene was the last of the three musketeers. He was an awkward guy, with long, black slick hair and absolutely no fighting skills at all. Apparently there's a cure in Washington and he is the only one who can get access to it. Abraham and Rosita seemed to believe him, but I had a deep feeling of doubt.

Finally, there was Tara. She looked a few years older than me, about Glenn and Maggie's age. I learned that she was with the Governor when they attacked the prison. At first, I was ready to drop her when I heard but then Glenn told me she didn't fight. She didn't know who the Governor actually was until the attack and ended up not siding with him. She also saved Glenn's life, so I decided she was okay.

"Need help?" She asked when she saw I was fumbling with the long skinny stick in my hands. Although my shoulder felt a lot better, it was still healing slowly and rubbing a stick between my hands rapidly didn't help. I got a small wincing pain and I handed her the stick.

"Yes, please," I said in relief and she chuckled.

I watched as she made a fire in less than two full minutes. It soon grew into a large fire that heated my face warmly, making me want to stay there forever, being it was freezing cold.

"Wow," I said, impressed.

She smiled. "My, uh, girlfriend taught me. She got mad because I was already better at her on my first try." She laughed and I let out a chuckle.

"Is she..." I couldn't finish, but I knew she knew what I was asking. She nodded quickly, wiping a tear that had slipped down her cheek. I looked down. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I should be the one saying sorry." She told me, looking at me in the eye. "It's my fault you're here now. It's my fault you lost your home."

I shook my head and took her hand in mine. "It's not your fault, Tara. It's the Governor's. He did this. Look on the bright side, you saved Glenn and brought him back here with us, with his wife. It's not your fault, okay?"

She nodded and smiled at me. I returned it, giving her hand a small squeeze before letting go and walking over to Carl and Judith. I sat down on the ground beside him. He looked over and gave me a large smile.

"Hey," he said, turning back to Judith, feeding her.

"Hey," I said back and put my finger in Judith's small hand, to which she squeezed it tightly, making me smile. "How are you doing?"

"Better now that you're here."

I rolled my eyes. "That's cheesy."

He frowned. "Not even a little bit sweet?"

"Fine, it was a little sweet, but if you ever say something like that again I'll hit you." I told him. He laughed.

I missed his laugh. I missed his smile. I missed him. Great, now I'm the one that's cheesy.

"Hey guys." We looked up and saw Tyreese. I smiled at him. "I can take it from here."

Carl handed Judith to him, but not before giving her a kiss on the forehead first.

"Thanks, Tyreese." said Carl.

"It's not a problem." He said and walked over to Sasha and Bob.

I laid my head on Carl's shoulder and looked around me. I couldn't believe that I ever doubted finding them, my family. I hated myself every day for it.